Aftermarket Wheel Selection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Wheel Selection

ExplorerX99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hi all,

I've been on tirerack.com and their selection of wheels that fit Explorers is very limited. However, when I search for wheels that will fit the same year Jeep Wrangler, it turns up with many more options and the same bolt pattern.

What is important to know when I'm ready to buy wheels? I' m familiar with the bolt pattern for the wheels on my Explorer but I wanted to know how important the back spacing size is.

Any info is appreciated!

Hi all,

I've been on tirerack.com and their selection of wheels that fit Explorers is very limited. However, when I search for wheels that will fit the same year Jeep Wrangler, it turns up with many more options and the same bolt pattern.

What is important to know when I'm ready to buy wheels? I' m familiar with the bolt pattern for the wheels on my Explorer but I wanted to know how important the back spacing size is.

Any info is appreciated!

The back spacing is how far out the wheel will be from the mounting flange. Generally, you would never select a wheel that sits closer to the vehicle because it would interfere with the rotors, and suspension parts, and look stupid. If you stick out further, then you need to measure the fender clearance very carefully. I don't think there is very much to work with on the explorer unless you lift the truck. Probably you could add 1/2" of offset without a big problem, but you need to measure carefully. And it's not so easy to measure. Best bet is to have some opinion from someone that's actually done it.

Ironically, I was at the pawn shop yesterday looking for tools. I looked at the giant pile of after market wheels there. Most of them had evidence of the fender scraping on the tire. I often wonder what the ride would be like with a 25 profile tire...

I'm seeing a back spacing of 3.54" - 4.01" that will fit. I guess, to be safe, I'll stick within that range. I love my Explorer, but man, it is a ***** to work with.

offset and backspacing

I've been looking at aftermarket wheels on Tire Rack as well. Here is the info on the wheels I am considering:

ULTRA ROGUE
Offset: 10mm
Backspacing: 4.84"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size:255/70-16
Weight: 21.2lbs.

I am not an expert on wheels as far as offset and backspacing goes. According to the website, these tires will fit my 97 Eddie Bauer Explorer. My question is how will these wheels differ from my current stock wheels as far as the offset and backspacing is concerned?

Back