Aftermarket wheels | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Looking at ford.com, the standard XLT tire is a 245/60R18 which would make it narrower that the Sports standard size of 255/50/R20. The 'optional' 20" tire on the XLT is the same size as the standard Sport tire. The 'optional' Summer tire on the Sport is P265/45ZR20 which is wider than the standard one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. I remember reading somewhere that the width of the 20" XLT Wheels was smaller than the Sport Wheels but my dealer keeps telling me that the 2015 XLT 20" wheels are the same exact size as the 2015 Sport Wheels. Can anyone confirm.

The sport rims are 1/2" wider than the XLT or Limited rims regardless of their diameter.

Sorry, I actually don't know the width of the 18" rims but the Sport 20" rims are 1/2" wider than the 20" rims offered on non sport models.

Sorry, I actually don't know the width of the 18" rims but the Sport 20" rims are 1/2" wider than the 20" rims offered on non sport models.

Do you know where I can find this information? I called my dealer again today and spoke with the service manager. He kept swearing up and down that the Sport Rims were 1/2 inch wider than the 20" XLT Rims prior to 2015. He keeps saying that on the 2015 models, the 20" XLT rims are the same exact size as the 2015 Sport rims. I should have asked him for a specific part number and I don't feel like bothering him over this issue.

Bottom line, I'm just finding out if I can fit 265/50/20's or 265/55/20's or if 255 is the max width I can go on my 2015 XLT wit the 20" appearance package wheels.

You should have no problem replacing a 255/50R20 with a 265/50R20. The diameter variance is 1.31%. Neither 1010tires.com nor tirerack.com allow a 265/55R20 tire as a replacement. You can go with a 265/55R19 and that will give you a variance of 1.45%. Still within the generally accepted max of 3%.

Peter

Well I don't have a lot on them yet, just drove around Frisco (Dallas) area a bit then back home to Paris (100+ miles) but so far:

The slight increase in width and height make it look much better on the rim. The original sport tires were too narrow for the 8.5" rim and resulted in a silly look. Based on the NT421Q product page, the 265-55-20 is ideal for an 8.5" rim and it shows.

The oversteer under hard acceleration is greatly reduced. I attribute this to the more square profile of the tire.

Road noise, especially on blacktop, is much improved. Initially there was a whine over 55 or so, but it went away after about 50 highway miles.

Gas mileage doesn't appear to be impacted.

My speedo is now actually accurate. It used to read a little fast.

Cornering feels great so far.

Nothing to report on ice/snow/rain yet. Might have wintry mix soon, so we'll see!

In your first post with the pictures, you say that the tires are 265/50/20 but in this post you said 265/55/20. Which ones are they?

In your first post with the pictures, you say that the tires are 265/50/20 but in this post you said 265/55/20. Which ones are they?

Sorry, I got the 265-50-20 but that's the same width as 265-55-20, just slightly smaller diameter.

Hi everyone with aftermarket wheels. I was planning on getting kmc district wheels for my explorer but the load rating on the kmc is 1400lbs. I am told that may not be safe after you do the load calculation I need 700kg or 1500ish lbs load rating. What are you thoughts on this? My gross weight is 6000ish pounds thanks

....... My gross weight is 6000ish pounds thanks
That makes me feel a whole lot better. My gross weight is only 240 lbs thanks to those Christmas treats. ;)

Peter

Hi everyone with aftermarket wheels. I was planning on getting kmc district wheels for my explorer but the load rating on the kmc is 1400lbs. I am told that may not be safe after you do the load calculation I need 700kg or 1500ish lbs load rating. What are you thoughts on this? My gross weight is 6000ish pounds thanks

My personal feeling is that is cutting it too close. I know there is always some wiggle room, but better to be safe than sorry.

Do you know for sure your weight is around 6000? I don't have 4WD so I know I am saving some weight there, but my Limited loaded with two adults, 10-12 full sheets of drywall and misc junk was around 5600 according to the scale at the dump.

I've been running the KMC District now for about 9 months, they are off for the winter, but I have the 4WD Limited, it's been loaded with 7 people, it's been loaded with 500-600lbs of tools, two adults and I've driven over 700 miles at any given moment with that load and have had no issues.

The Midwest area Manager for KMC liked my setup so much he put the same wheel on his Explorer.

I guess the advantage is the main stream masses won't be able to order them without prior knowledge because most sites like Tire Rack say these don't work on this vehicle.

Just put some Drag DR37s on. I stuck with the 20s, but I'm thinking of going with 275/40/20 on all 4. I tried a search but haven't seen anyone with that size yet, anyone tried it?
2015-03-08%2013.06.17_zpsnlvuz0r1.jpg
2015-03-08%2013.04.35_zpsz3huvgk9.jpg

The reason you haven't found anyone with the 275/40R20 size may be because the -4.59% exceeds the generally accepted maximum of 3%.

Peter

The reason you haven't found anyone with the 275/40R20 size may be because the -4.59% exceeds the generally accepted maximum of 3%.

Peter

Peter, that really only applys if you don't adjust for the speed calibration with a tuner. That's what I plan on doing, its not a huge difference in height, if not corrected I think the speedo is off by around 3 mph. People just need to think outside the box a little, that's all.

I will be staying with the stock 20s that come with the sport..i really like the look of them...tires on the other hand get horrible reviews and don't seem all that great...may upgrade those come summer

Peter, that really only applys if you don't adjust for the speed calibration with a tuner. That's what I plan on doing, its not a huge difference in height, if not corrected I think the speedo is off by around 3 mph. People just need to think outside the box a little, that's all.
Anything over 3% in diameter variance will put extra strain on the brakes and could possibly lead to brake failure. That is the warning that comes up when you do a tire size comparison. Has nothing to do with tuning and everything to do with stopping.

Peter

I think that primarily applies to an increase in diameter since you are increasing leverage and rotational mass. I saw you've already had a ton of debates on this particular subject so I'm not gonna go into with ya. You've got your opinion and it sounds like youre firm on it. Thanks for the advice though.

That size difference is so small that you will ABSOLUTELY NEVER notice a difference in stopping. Of course there will be a difference but nothing that will even come close to brake failure. If it was that sensitive then people who lift and put significantly larger tires on their jeeps would be having brake failure all the time.

That size difference is so small that you will ABSOLUTELY NEVER notice a difference in stopping. Of course there will be a difference but nothing that will even come close to brake failure. If it was that sensitive then people who lift and put significantly larger tires on their jeeps would be having brake failure all the time.

yeah i agree, especially since it's a jeep too :dpchug:
if anything gonna fail first lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that primarily applies to an increase in diameter since you are increasing leverage and rotational mass. I saw you've already had a ton of debates on this particular subject so I'm not gonna go into with ya. You've got your opinion and it sounds like youre firm on it. Thanks for the advice though.
It isn't my opinion. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the issue. I'm just passing along the warning that come up when comparing different sizes on various sites. This is also confirmed in some of the articles I've read. Here is what one such article stated;
Plus sizing your wheel & tire combination was designed to enhance vehicle performance and looks by allowing fitment of larger diameter rims and lower profile tires. The theory is that while making these changes, you keep the overall tire diameter within 3% of the original equipment tires. This is important because larger variances can cause problems with transmission shift points which can decrease fuel mileage. It can also confuse braking system computers which can even lead to brake failure.

Peter

Back