Aftermarket wheels | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Do you know where I can find this information? I called my dealer again today and spoke with the service manager. He kept swearing up and down that the Sport Rims were 1/2 inch wider than the 20" XLT Rims prior to 2015. He keeps saying that on the 2015 models, the 20" XLT rims are the same exact size as the 2015 Sport rims. I should have asked him for a specific part number and I don't feel like bothering him over this issue.

Bottom line, I'm just finding out if I can fit 265/50/20's or 265/55/20's or if 255 is the max width I can go on my 2015 XLT wit the 20" appearance package wheels.

I think where the confusion may be occurring is that for 2015 Ford introduced the XLT Appearance Package which came with some special wheels that look similar to the 9" wide Sport wheels. Perhaps these wheels, exclusive to this package are the same 1/2 wider as the 9" Sport wheels are. So the Manager is comparing one single wheel on the XLT to the Sport not all the other standard wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It isn't my opinion. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the issue.[/I]

Peter

And that's exactly why I asked if anyone has done it, sometimes it takes people to actually do and try things, not just read what's on the internet. Thanks though for your opinion on what will and won't work based off a disclaimer on 1010tires or whatever site you used. It's amazing how companies like discount tire stay in business with all these monster truck tires they install and brake failures waiting to happen. Guess they have good lawyers!

And that's exactly why I asked if anyone has done it, sometimes it takes people to actually do and try things, not just read what's on the internet. Thanks though for your opinion on what will and won't work based off a disclaimer on 1010tires or whatever site you used. It's amazing how companies like discount tire stay in business with all these monster truck tires they install and brake failures waiting to happen. Guess they have good lawyers!
In many cases the brakes are upgraded. Members here have done that as well when adding plus sized wheels.

Peter

Anything over 3% in diameter variance will put extra strain on the brakes and could possibly lead to brake failure. That is the warning that comes up when you do a tire size comparison. Has nothing to do with tuning and everything to do with stopping.

Peter

I agree with you on the extra strain, but more specifically I believe that it's the braking distance and accelerated pad wear that will increase as opposed to brake failure.

Edit: If we want to continue with the debate of tire size and brakes, I'd say let's start a new thread so we don't clutter this one up?

I don't want to add fuel to the fire or anything but I have noticed this in Ford IDS programming for the '13 and '14 EX regarding tire size selection.

Body Control Module Tire Size Selections:
P245/55R 18 Inch Tire
P245/55R 18 Inch Tire (yes listed twice)
P265/45R 20 Inch Tire
P245/65R 17 Inch Tire
P245/60R 18 Inch Tire
P245/50R 20 Inch Tire
P255/50R 20 Inch Tire

Power Steering Control Module Tire Circumference:
17 Inch Tire
18 Inch Tire
20 Inch Tire

ABS Tire Size:
17 Inch Tire
18 Inch Tire
20 Inch Tire

So the different modules in the vehicle want specific tire information.

Damm am I the only one that loves the sports stock rims?
I think they're beautiful

KMC District 10.5x22

I have a beautiful set of KMC District Wheels in black and with nearly new tires for sale in the for sale forum. Would love to move them for anyone looking to get a great deal.

I have a beautiful set of KMC District Wheels in black and with nearly new tires for sale in the for sale forum. Would love to move them for anyone looking to get a great deal.

Why? Curb rash? Any rubbing when turning?

Why? Curb rash? Any rubbing when turning?

One wheel has some superficial rash. I posted pics. I sold the truck. No rubbing. Road force perfect balance black locking lugs.

Falken RT-7M 22in wheels

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I wasn't really into black wheels but I grew to like these. They look much better in person

2 Questions...
1) What size tires are your running on your 22's?
2) Any rubbing issues?

Thanks in advance!!!

Tire question - will it fit?

On the 20" limited rim, can I go 265/50/20 in lieu of the stock 255/50/20? Looking for a bit more width on the rim to make it look more "substantial." Will this cause any major issues? Rubbing is my biggest concern. If the speedo is off, so be it...

Thanks,
Shumax.

The 265 will only have a diameter variance of 1.31% which is well within the 3% maximum. Keep in mind that a wider tire will likely negatively affect your mpg due to higher rolling resistance. If you don't use dedicated Winter tires, keep in mind the narrower tire will perform better. I believe there are members using the 265/50R20. There are a few threads on tires and I have merged yours with this one. You may also want to check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389596&highlight=tires

It would also help if you added the year and model of your Explorer to your signature assuming you still have the Eddie Bauer. That way members can better address future concerns more accurately.

Peter

My new 22's :D

Koko Kuture Massa 5 (22x9)
Nitto NT 420S 265/40R22 tires

80ED7922-3E7F-4107-A589-E47BD46A75B1_zps27vxuosn.jpg
762C21F7-737D-4690-8382-35EF38D0238F_zpsmxpjp09y.jpg

VERY slick comper!! I like that combination a lot! Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone installed a set of the KMC rockstar car KM775 20x10's?

They seems like they will physically fit, but tire-rack, amazon, and KMC's websites all exclude them for the explorer. The only reason I can think why they are excluded is their weight rating is 1580 which is just barely over the total GVWR of 6160lbs assuming even weight distribution. Has anyone installed similar rated wheels?

I want to install them on our '15 sport. No offroading, CA freeways primarily.

Let me know what you guys think about the compatibility.

edit: nm, looks like baddceo ran 1400lbs rated KMC district's, which looks super badass even tho he sold it.

IMG_3772.jpg

Damm am I the only one that loves the sports stock rims?
I think they're beautiful

Nope, I love my Sport Rims and would never change them!

ETA: Well I take some of that back. I do love the stock Sport rims but I hate that nobody offers a mud terrain in 255/50R20 size, I mean nobody offers one. I might have to go to 18's to put on a pair of BFG MT's but that is a year or so away. Hopefully a manufacturer will make a quality MT in the stock Sport size. AWD/4WD is fantastic; but without a good mud terrain tire it's only half of what it is capable of in my experience. I went places in 4Lo with this beast that 90% of guy/girls wouldn't with the Dunlop MT's. I certainly couldn't go there with All Terrains and certainly not in an All Weather/Season Tire...

201107192015273.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally Posted by Pratorb View Post
"That size difference is so small that you will ABSOLUTELY NEVER notice a difference in stopping. Of course there will be a difference but nothing that will even come close to brake failure. If it was that sensitive then people who lift and put significantly larger tires on their jeeps would be having brake failure all the time."

Pratorb, I quoted you for TRUTH! I went from stock 30" Wrangler GSA's to Dunlop 35" Mud Terrains 3-4 months after I got the Jeep. I drove my Jeep every day from 05' to April of 15'; until I was rear-ended from a stand still at over 40mph by an idiot looking at an accident and pretty blue lights instead of my tail lights... I never upgraded any brake components because I didn't need to. I could still lock up my Wrangler tires with the 35's as I used the Aluminum Alloy "Canyon Rims" that were OEM. I only put new (Wagner Thermo Quiet) brake pads and OEM rotors on her after 60K miles when it was time for a brake job. Were talking about a single piston caliber brake system here.

The Explorer's brake system is more than capable of running larger wheel tire combo without any noticeable difference in stopping distance. I wouldn't go more than 1-2 inches larger in overall tire diameter over stock without upgrading the stock pads to something like EBC "Yellow Stuff" pads first. But that is a super easy upgrade and the Exp brake system will certainly handle it.

Gone but not forgotten Jeep Wrangler on 35" Dunlop Mud Terrains, 3inch suspension lift, A-Z Fabrication front and rear armored bumpers and side rock sliders, and many, many more mods I did myself in my driveway/garage...

201107192015273.jpg

20110719201421.jpg

201107192018392.jpg

Back