Aftermarket wheels | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Here's an entire thread full of discussion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking to change the wheels on my '17 Sport. I'd like to run 20"×10.5" but I'm not sure if that's doable without rubbing. Anyone running 20"×10.5" w/o rubbing, and if so what offset did you use?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread/post was merged with this one identified in post #781 above.
See posts 618 and 722. Found them and others using the handy 'Search' feature at the upper right.

Peter

Hey guys! Reviving this old thread instead of making a new one and having it merged.

Recently picked up a ‘16 Sport and have been using the forum to try to research wheels/tire/spring info and decided to go for a setup I haven’t seen anyone do quite this way yet.

So as for springs, I went with the H&R Flex springs, as a lot of other people have and I couldn’t have been happier with that. I’d ideally like coilovers but “no one makes them yet”, so this will do. Being the same platform as the Taurus, I may get ballsy and order some coilovers like the ones I had on it previous Taurus and give them a shot over the winter, but who knows. So here’s a photo of the car after the springs, with stock wheels and 275/45/20’s
q3GEmkh.jpg

Then after researching wheel/tire setups everywhere and not wanting to do the same 20x10.5 +45 with 295’s that everyone runs, I decided I wanted to go bigger all around, even though the general consensus was that there’s no way I could make it fit. Welp, here we are. I went with Variant Wheels Heliums in 20x11 +40 with 305/40/20’s on all four corners, WITHIN the fenders and zero rubbing or clearance issues anywhere. I know a similar setup has been mounted, but it was a shorter tire fire with a totally different offset that had the wheels poked a couple inches outside the fenders.

Hope you guys enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions regarding the fitment!

Welcome to the Forum PJ. :wave:
The only question I have concerns the front license plate. Why is it mounted the way it is? All others I've seen have it in the middle.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum PJ. :wave:
The only question I have concerns the front license plate. Why is it mounted the way it is? All others I've seen have it in the middle.

Peter
Thank Peter! Excited to be here!
Well, the dealer for some reason removed the original riveted plate frame and the holes were unfortunately ruined and too big to screw in a new mount, so I had to seek other options. I ended up going with a tow hook mounted bracket from EOS plate brackets. In my opinion, it looks good enough and it’s very easy to remove in the case that I may need the actual tow hook. I’ve just gotta figure out a good way to fill the original bracket holes without buying a new bumper cover in the meantime.

Thank Peter! Excited to be here!
Well, the dealer for some reason removed the original riveted plate frame and the holes were unfortunately ruined and too big to screw in a new mount, so I had to seek other options. I ended up going with a tow hook mounted bracket from EOS plate brackets. In my opinion, it looks good enough and it’s very easy to remove in the case that I may need the actual tow hook. I’ve just gotta figure out a good way to fill the original bracket holes without buying a new bumper cover in the meantime.
I am sure that hardware stores would have inserts for the existing holes that would allow you to screw into them. Sometimes people use similar items in order to mount things on walls.
I did a search and found some threads that may be useful....or not.
Front plate question (his pic is in post #7)

Peter

I am sure that hardware stores would have inserts for the existing holes that would allow you to screw into them. Sometimes people use similar items in order to mount things on walls.
I did a search and found some threads that may be useful....or not.
Front plate question (his pic is in post #7)

Peter
Appreciate the effort, but this bracket is already installed and working just fine, so I’m not in any rush to replace it again. Thanks though!

You might be able to use those push pins to plug the existing holes in the bumper as shown in the picture.

Peter

Hey everyone, here's my setup on my 2017 Wheelchair Accessible Ford Explorer (That's why it looks a little different from the back).

Rims: Vossen CV10s in satin black
Tires: Nitto NT421Qs measuring 275/50/R20

I'm guessing there is a picture in the above post. All I'm getting is "Google Dive", "You need access" and "Request access".

Peter

Back