Aftermarket wheels | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Your tire size choice is way off! Why would you put such skinny tires on wide wheels ? It's called 'stretching' in the Ricer world.

I know what you mean. Quite a few wheel "upgrades" I've seen look like downgrades to me. Achieving the right look is kind of an art as you have so many things to consider. Wheel size, offset, width, color. Tire size is important for good execution as well.

I care about weight as well, so that takes a lot of wheels out of list of options. Weight affects acceleration, handling, braking, and fuel economy.

That being said, I have been considering wheel options for about a month or so and finally placed an order. My wheels are being made to order and will take 4-5 weeks to complete.

If my research pays off, hopefully I will achieve a look similar to this:

resized.jpg

spblkx5m2s.jpg

My setup will be:

22x10.5 +45 rear (Deep Concave)
22X9 +45 front (Semi Concave)
245 40 22 rear tires
235 40 22 front tires

Color I ordered should be more like this:
3684314643_63334f7b00_b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

typo.

Correcting now

...and going to Tirerack it shows no tires are available in those sizes!

...and going to Tirerack it shows no tires are available in those sizes!

Ok. I believe I found some through Toyo and have already reached out to my contact there.

Toyo Proxes STII

Falken makes 285 40/22 tires as well

I got the tz04 in that size

Those sizes are more realistic, but I'd run a 35 profile on the back to be more inline with the fronts.

285/40/22
265/40/22

But this is for staggered setup. 10.5 rear, 9 front.

It should end up 31 overall diameter rear and 30.3 on the front. Pretty damn close if you ask me.

all wheel drive cars should always have same size tires all around.

these things are more like front wheel drive cars with rear assist but I think it would still be bad to have different size front and rear

all wheel drive cars should always have same size tires all around.

these things are more like front wheel drive cars with rear assist but I think it would still be bad to have different size front and rear

Plenty of people run staggered on AWD vehicles. You just need to do the math and stay within a reasonable range. The difference my setup will have is fine.

Just makes tire rotations obsolete IF you use directional tires.;)

Peter

Once I need to replace my stock tires, I plan on the setup below. However, at the rate these tires are lasting I may not get new rims until late next summer. Maybe I need to schedule a long road trip to burn through some rubber. :)
Capture_zps8d0069c9.jpg

Next on the list is wheels! A fast photoshop!

I like gns30! Make sure you post actual pics when you have the wheels. Although the photo shop version looks darn good!

Next on the list is wheels! A fast photoshop!

Very nice. Which brand and size are those?

^ +1, those look great. What brand and offsets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

24" Giovanna Andros

I went with 24s on my explorer xlt, and no regrets so far. I expected a rougher ride, but besides a little more road noise, I haven't really experienced any downfalls. Everything is surprisingly smooth, and no rubbing issues at all.
20140826_193044.jpg

20140826_192856.jpg

20140826_192646.jpg

Back