Aftermarket wheels | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Your truck looks amazing with those wheels and tires and the stance is killer with the drop. How is the ride and does it rub? The one thing a hate about these Explorers is the rear fender thickness. Which tire company did you go with? Who did you purchase the wheels from? I am probably just going to go with Pirelli Plus 275/45R20's to be safe and to save a ton of money. I have not seen a 295/45R20 tire that I like that is affordable but I really like the way yours looks.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

I went with a 295/45/20. Yokohama Parada Spec X. Love the setup, wouldn't change a thing. 0 rub, haven't had to modify anything at all. I am lowered on H&R springs. Wheels are Velgen wheels (Velgen Wheels | Leader In Luxury & Performance Wheels), they are amazing, quality is great. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with a 295/45/20. Yokohama Parada Spec X. Love the setup, wouldn't change a thing. 0 rub, haven't had to modify anything at all... Let me know if you have any other questions!
Great looking setup. I am looking at similar 22" rims with the same rubber. How do you like the tires? Road noise pretty low? Good traction on wet pavement and durable? I have Winter tires installed on my OEM rims, so I'm not worried about winter driving with the Parada's. I just want a nice ride and no road noise. Thanks for your input.

Great looking setup. I am looking at similar 22" rims with the same rubber. How do you like the tires? Road noise pretty low? Good traction on wet pavement and durable? I have Winter tires installed on my OWM rims, so I'm not worried about winter driving with the Parada's. I just want a nice ride and no road noise. Thanks for your input.
Doing some calculations using various sizes available in The Spec-X, it seems that the 265/40R22 is your best fit with a -1.02% diameter variance with the 265/35R22 coming in at -2.45%. Still within the 3% maximum variance. The 285/45R22 was 6.85% and the 285/40R22 was 3.12%, slightly over. The Parada is not available in the 295/45R22 size. I had no issues with the ones I had on my 2011 Limited. I installed them the day I picked the Ex up from the dealer.

Peter

Thanks peterk9. I was eyeing either the CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06 (265/40ZR22) or the YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X (265/40R22), so I figured I'd ask about the Parada's. I'm thinking of wrapping them around QUAD BERLIN 22x10 with a Machined w/Matte Graphite.
quad_ber_mmga_sr190.jpg

Great looking setup. I am looking at similar 22" rims with the same rubber. How do you like the tires? Road noise pretty low? Good traction on wet pavement and durable? I have Winter tires installed on my OEM rims, so I'm not worried about winter driving with the Parada's. I just want a nice ride and no road noise. Thanks for your input.

I don't think you will have enough clearance with a 295/45/22, almost positive actually. You would need to do a 265 or 285/35/22 if you are looking at 22" (depending on your rim offset). I can tell you however, you will notice a huge change in ride quality etc with a 35 series tire as well. I actually had 22" on order and changed back to 20" because I didn't want a 295/35/22 tire.

Being that I went from a 255/50/20 to 295/45/20 the ride quality was not compromised much at all, if anything. Still rides great, the extra tread (295) helps tremendously with handling, definitely notice that. No road noise, super quiet even on the highway. Discount tire mounted and balanced, they will price match anything you find so shop around, even if it's online somewhere. I got mine for $140/tire, stole them! :)

Fairly new setup, seems pretty good in the rain. Again, haven't had them on too long. Tread pattern in person looks pretty sweet though on a 295.

Not sure if this link has been posted in here (sorry I did not read every post) but this is what I have used when I changed wheels and tires for my Optima (daily driver). I found it helpful.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

I don't think you will have enough clearance with a 295/45/22, almost positive actually. You would need to do a 265 or 285/35/22 if you are looking at 22" (depending on your rim offset). I can tell you however, you will notice a huge change in ride quality etc with a 35 series tire as well. I actually had 22" on order and changed back to 20" because I didn't want a 295/35/22 tire.

Being that I went from a 255/50/20 to 295/45/20 the ride quality was not compromised much at all, if anything. Still rides great, the extra tread (295) helps tremendously with handling, definitely notice that. No road noise, super quiet even on the highway. Discount tire mounted and balanced, they will price match anything you find so shop around, even if it's online somewhere. I got mine for $140/tire, stole them! :)

Fairly new setup, seems pretty good in the rain. Again, haven't had them on too long. Tread pattern in person looks pretty sweet though on a 295.

Those 20x10.5 front a rear? Found a bunch of mustang sites (CJPony & Late model Restro) that have them but they sell in sets of fronts 20x9 and rear 20x10.5)

Those 20x10.5 front a rear? Found a bunch of mustang sites (CJPony & Late model Restro) that have them but they sell in sets of fronts 20x9 and rear 20x10.5)
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Thank you! I'm on here a lot, just usually creepin. I like to be the guy that's read and used the "search" feature before I post. 9/10 times someone else has already asked the question.

Thanks peterk9. I was eyeing either the CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06 (265/40ZR22) or the YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X (265/40R22), so I figured I'd ask about the Parada's. I'm thinking of wrapping them around QUAD BERLIN 22x10 with a Machined w/Matte Graphite.
quad_ber_mmga_sr190.jpg

I think those would look great but would have to be 22 to really pull it off. Would love to see it. Post pics if you do it!!!

I have the Conti's, love them. Paid much more for them than the Yoko's cause I don't like the tread pattern. To me, looks like it will pick up a lot of stones, and wedge them in the tread.
For a ten inch wheel you should go to a 285 for sure.

I nearly bought these wheels, very similar to what you're looking at.

F%20wheel_zpsatbwowat.jpg

quad_ber_mmga_sr190.jpg

I nearly bought these wheels, very similar to what you're looking at.

F%20wheel_zpsatbwowat.jpg

I like those! JETZ, would you mind sharing the brand and model?

I've found these Adventus AVVX-7 rims that I like a bit more than the Quad Berlin's I had pictured above. The edging adds a bit of depth I like better than the Berlins.
avx-7-silver-machined-accents-undercut.jpg

adventus_avx7_22x10-1310-748-00-lay-1000.jpg

I like those! JETZ, would you mind sharing the brand and model?

I've found these Adventus AVVX-7 rims that I like a bit more than the Quad Berlin's I had pictured above. The edging adds a bit of depth I like better than the Berlins.

AVX wheels are nice. Looking at some myself.

Look at the wheel @ the eight o'clock position, forgiato.com.
Looks like it's the 'Freddo-M' model. Could not give me any of their other wheels for free!

Frank

Look at the wheel @ the eight o'clock position, forgiato.com.
Looks like it's the 'Freddo-M' model. Could not give me any of their other wheels for free!

Frank

Are you talking wheel or center cap. If center cap, I believe it says "Forged"

Yes, 10.5 all the way around. I didn't want to go staggerd due to the fact you can rotate all the way around, plus I love the concave look on the front and rear matching.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another photo of the car with the Massa-5

E0090BC7-27AA-4054-AFB8-094760AEB603_zpsteny7mkn.jpg

Badass, looks great!! I love the way 22" wheels fill the wheel wells. I just dont know if i am willing to sacrifice any ride quality. if it was my daily driver, maybe, but it is the wifey's. probably leave stock for now.

Back