Afters...2.5" JD Lift, 2"PA lift, 33x12.5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Afters...2.5" JD Lift, 2"PA lift, 33x12.5

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great! I have been thinking about going with that same configuration since the JD parts are so reliable (as oppose to the superlifts). Did you have any problems with rubbing on the fenders? I am considering using the 33x12.50 dirt gripz but they measure a full 33.3 inches (instead of like 32.6inches for the BFG). I may have to use a 3 inch body lift instead. How does your vehicle handle after the lift?? Thanks for any input!

Dan

I did have to do a little fender trimming, but I emphasize little. I would have had to do a significant amount of trimming on the bumper had I been able to put it back on (the bumper relocation brackets suck). The handling is fine, there is some bump steer. I am looking into getting a drop pitman arm. Oh, I would not recommend the 3" Body lift. Way too many problems can/have arisen with people doing them on this site. 2" is much safer/easier and should be able to fit your needs with jsut a little trimming. Do a search.

Cool, thanks for the advice on the body lift. Yeah, I have been searching like a madman. There are a lot of options out there but it seems like superlift sucks and some of the other lifts are just too expensive. I had been considering a James Duff lift with body lift since I am only about 50 miles from JD's location but I kinda wanted to talk to someone first to see what they thought of their products and what tires were able to fit. Also, I haven't heard anything bad about JD and their lift components are supposed to be very strong. Anyways, thanks for the advice. By the way, what is your gas milage like since you made the swap??

Dan

The lift itself didn't do anything to my gas mileage, but the 33's did, even with the gearing reduction. I saw about a loss of 2-3 MPG. Not too bad considering....I highly recommend the James Duff lift. Its absolutely bullet proof. I am actually going to be upgrading though to Skyjacker's 6" lift when I get the money and then selling the JD lift.

I dig my duff. I won't go bigger. Mine is about 4-5" (I have 3" VR coils and f150 spacers) and that is enough for me. I might run 35s though, with some more trimming I suppose! I have had no probs with the duff. I broke a dual hoop when I had them and they let me weld the old one and sent me a new one. They seem to be great people, and I ate shipping cost huge so that is another plus!
I wouldn't put in a BL. Forget that. Slap in some f150 spacers and a SOA axle and call it good. Mine is set up like that now and I wouldn't ever trade it for the old set up. Add a Leaf made the rear ride like a pogo stick. If you must run bigger than 33s, cut the fenders!

Oh, looks good Peking. I like the flex. Do you run sway bars on the front? Is it hard to drive?

Kirby: How did you configure your rear SOA conversion?? Did you just mount new perches and use the stock springs? The JD lift plus 2 inch coil spacers would be about 4.5 inches up front right?? How did you get that same amount out of the back? Also, are the 2.5 inch axle pivot drop brackets long enough to compensate for the extra 2 inches of front coil length due to the spacers?? I don't want to be driving around with my tires in the shape of a "V"! Thanks for the input!

Dan

Kirby N,
I disconnect the front sway bar when I air down my tires for wheeling. Its too scary to drive without it. It only held on by six bolts and I can take the entire thing off in under 5 minutes. Putting it back on is easy as well as long as you find some level ground. I also took the rear sway bar off completely, and haven't even noticed it.

Peking- Sounds good. I am looking for some quik discos, I made some a while back, but they turned out to be slow discos:D . I think I'll take it off the next time I go wheeling. I was wondering if I should wait until I get to the wheeling area- guess so!

Diggity- I have the 3" VR coils and a F150 spacer on the front end (turns out to be about 4.25"). It needed an alignment, But it was as simple as 2.5". The drop brackets are fine. I also did a SOA on the rear with some warrior spring pads that I bought for like 12 bucks at 4wheelparts. I also took out the overload spring so I had a little less height on the rear. It works tons better than it did before and I have 33's with no BL. On thing to consider is the shock mounts. I am trying to figure out a better way. Most people use the bottom hole on the swaybar, My shocks turned out to be too long when I did that. Also I needed extended Brake lines on the front- 80 bucks from duff.

Back