air bag/air lift/what else question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

air bag/air lift/what else question

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
air bags (sort of) question

i'm sure everyone has seen those air lift leaf spring helper things at performance products. right?

well i want to do sort of what those do and sort of what bags do. is it possible to leave the front just the way it is, but go from 2 inch to 3 inch blocks in the rear and add some sort of an air adjustable suspension back their (sort of like those, or should i use some other kit or other bags) so that i can lift it all the way up to stock height if i want to and for when i do towing.

how much would it cost if i don't want to be able to control it from in the truck?

and how much if i want to have it be adjustable from my seat?

what about doing it so that you need an external air compressor?

let me know what you think.

or what about the possibility of using the stock air ride thing from someone on here who had a limited but lifted it and doesn't use it anymore??? anyone have one for sale?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a set of helper springs at Lordco they are about $80 can. each. If you can build your own mounts that'll save you some coin but you could get mounts from the same place you get the bags. The compressor will be the most expensive part. You will also need a small air tank. If you want to run the bags from in the truck you will also need either a single paddle gauge (which means running airlines into the truck) or electric valves (regular momentary switch) With the paddle gauge you are limited to how fast it will be due to the size of airline. My Ranger had 1/2 electric valves and could hop the front wheels off the ground, just to give you an idea of speed. With the electric valves I had one for each airbag. One up and one down, but that was also to do side to side. The valves were like $170 canadian each. If you have any other questions, I've got quite a bit of experience with air rides having owned 2 bagged vehicles and bagged my Ranger twice

yeah, i really wish i could just bag it, but its not practical for what i use it for and i don't have the money.

i did find a air lift company kit for 270 that will allow 2.5 inches of movement in the rear complete with onboard switches and compressor. right now, that is the direction i'm going in, unless someone in my area offers to help me/hook me up with something better thats cheap.

With that kit you could probably mess around with the mounts to get more lift.

Would these work? You'd need the controller/compressor too which goes for another $100.

I think that's the kind of kit he's talking about

section- that is exactly the kit i'm talking about, and that is also the cheapest retailer i have found thus far.

Auto Zone actually has air adjustible shocks. They run about $65-100 and can either be run off a compressor, or from a tire style valve...ie fill them when needed.

We used to run these on our mini trucks before bags were easily accessable. The ride isn't too bad, and they can actually be controlled with a cheap emergency tire pump (also from AZ or Wal-Mart).

This is probably your cheapest option. They will give about 10" of lift depending on the model. I know for a fact they are available as a stock replacement for the X b/c I had ordered some but took them back due to money issues.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

interesting, could you give me a link to a vehicle that ha them? what are the drawbacks? obviously if it were just thta easy everyone would be using them.

Back