Air bag light and side air bags

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I've got lingering problem here on my '02.

I've had the air bag light on in my ex for a couple months now. I've blown in it and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and it will cure the air bag light and keep it off for a few days. But it always manages to come back on. I am at a loss here and do not know what to do.

My question is: if I have a wire leading from the yellow connector under the seat to the top into the seat cushion, does it mean that I have side impact airbags? I have the sticker that came on the window and it does not mention any side air bags. I ask this because I read on another thread that if you do not have side impact airbags the the yellow connector does not run into the seat cushion and then the resistor in the yellow connection that fools the computer into thinking you have side airbags. And this resistor is usually to blame. If this is so, since I have wires leading from the yellow connection to the seat cushion then I should have side air bags and I do not have a resistor to blame.

If I do not have a resistor in the yellow connector then what else could the problem be?

BTW my air bag light flashes the code "33"

Any insight besides just blowing into the connectors would be helpful.

B2292 33 Restraint System — Safety Belt Pretensioner Status (Driver Pretensioner Circuit Fault)

IE the there's an issue in the wiring to the to the explosive package in the driver side seat belt...

Ehh, thanks. I've exhausted everything i know to do. Perhaps in a few weeks here once I get out of school I will take it do the dealership and see what they think.

Back