Air Bag Light - Side Air Bag Wiring Harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Light - Side Air Bag Wiring Harness

migel

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Need to know about the Side Air Bag Wiring Harness. My '99 XLT 4x4 doesn't even have side air bags but the bad wiring harness is causing my light to flash. I'm not sure of the sequence. Local dealer tells me that when faulted, the entire air bag system will not function. They want $390 for the repair. Any thoughts?

First off..... .welcome to the board!!!

just about a week ago I had an AIR BAG light come on in my wife's 98 Sport... it was blinking at the beginning and later stayed on untill I stopped at the gas station for a fill-up.... had no problem since but it made me wonder.... what could be a main cause for that? I mean it was pretty foggy that morning... lots of moisture in the air.... would that cause an air-bag circuit to malfunction? I had no problems simce.... it could be something as simple in your truck as well...... stealer always wants lots of money.... but on the other hand... air-bag is something I wouldn't service on my own...

Yeah man welcome to the site.

First off an air bag system ( srs, supplemental restraint system ) could still function in a fault mode, but is more likely to go off at an innapropriate time.

Ford pre wires for all air bags on all vehicles. Meaning under your seat, posibly under the carpet as well you'll find the pig tail for your side srs.

I have heard of situations where the pig tail gets tweaked or what have you. This throws a code.
nine times out of ten a srs scanner can clear the code.

Try this first, disconnect your battery for 20 min.
See if your code clears. If your light does not come back you are fine.

Check some local body shops, some higher end body shops will have a aig bag scanner.

It is very unlikely you need a new harness.

DRE, you have no light you are fine.
And it is a good idea to leave srs repair work to professionals

Back