• Register Today It's free!

Air bag Trouble Code 36?

ricema27

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I own a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS. The air bag readiness light on my instrument panel flashes upon start up and then goes to a solid "on". I've counted the flashes and determined that it is giving me an indicator code of 36. I've searched Ford Air Bag Diagnostic Trouble Codes and all the tables I've found only go up to 35. I'm guessing that codes greater than 35 deal with side air bags, except my Explorer does not have them installed.

Does anyone know what a trouble code 36 means? I have an appointment to bring it to the dealer. But in the meantime, I'm not in any danger of the air bag inadvertently activating on me?

Thanx,
mike

I have a 99 and it was flashing the same code. Nobody on the board had any answers. If you find out, will you please let me know?

Thanks
randy

The light went out and acted normally right before I brought it to the dealer. I brought it in anyways and the system was diagnosed.

The driver side air bag module had to be replaced. Not a big deal as it was covered under the 50,000 mile SRS sytem warranty. Hope this helps.

Back