• Register Today It's free!

air bag

bluesteel1987

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 explorer and was wondering at what speed on inpact the air bags deploy??? i was heading home doing 25Mph cause the roads were getting slick. i had a green light, when i got to cross walk there was a police car stoped right in front of me. Locked the brakes up and slid strait into her side. Dont know why she did not move. Think she slid through red light and came to stop in front of me... any way the air bags did not deploy. think i slowed down to about 10 to 15Mph when i hit her. Is there a speed at which they open?? also should i have checked out before driving? dont want them to go off while i am driving. My bumper was just tweaked a little. the cops door was smashed in and she could not get out. they have so much stuff in the middle she could not get out other side. Hope ever one has a great Xmas, take care. Bob

did you get a ticket and did they label you "at fault?"

Speed is irlevant in air bag deployment.
Force and decelaration. In other words inerscia (sp?)
It is pretty much the same principal on all vehicles just a different method.
Ford has a ballbearing in a trac held in place with a magnet. The ball and magnet are very perciously matched for reasons which will soon become obvious.
When the vehicle stops or suddenly decilerates it breaks the hold of the manget on the ball , the ball rolls forward and maked contact with two contacts. This compleates a circuit , then BOOM quicker than you can say "Oh Sh** " the bag goes off and then almost as quickly deflates.

The truck tests the bags for you every time you start it.
When the air bag light is lit up it is running it's tests. If it finds nothing wrong the light goes out.

If the light is out you should be fine. There really is no
other tests that can be performed.

Hope things work out for you.

Back