air box mod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

air box mod

Sound effects, more crap on your filter, and unnecessary use of throttle.

Well someone is just a great big ray of sunshine!!!

lol. This is basically all it does. For real. It gives better air flow technically, and does very very slightly increase peppiness (in mine it did), but the main increase in peppiness is the skinny pedal becomes best friends with the carpet.

I trust Ford engineers more than guys on forums in most instances. This is one of them.

I usually trust Ford engineers over aftermarket company engineers as well. For air delivery on a stock engine, this is one of them as well.

But they don't like loud noises. And I do.
Other than that they're on the money. This vehicle doesn't really need more air flow than what they give it. Stock at least. Some mods will need more air flow, for obvious reasons.

But they don't like loud noises. And I do.
Other than that they're on the money. This vehicle doesn't really need more air flow than what they give it. Stock at least. Some mods will need more air flow, for obvious reasons.

Yup.
14-2652D90BD918-63604-00004225E0E7C499_zps231b712b.jpg

Well, after having the '04 for a year I can tell you that my MPG is up to where it belongs. ( 17.5 to 19.5 MPG on the highway )

I believe that the drastic drop in my MPG that I posted in an eariler post was more to due with a hanging brake caliper that took me a while to diagnose than the air box mod.

I also believe that swapping out the gear lube in both axles with Amsoil Sever Gear gained me a solid 1 MPG. on the highway :)

For me, I doubt the holes I drilled in the box had any measurable effect on my highway MPG, But boy do I love the look on Grand paws face when I drop the hammer to get around his azz :)

Back