Air conditioner leak or something else/ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air conditioner leak or something else/

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Alright, I'll try to make this short and to the point. Basically in 48 hours lost all refrigerant and blowing ambient warm air.

Replaced both high/low pressure lines with seals, dryer, condenser and pressure switches during engine swap July/20. slowly lost refrigerant by November when I noticed compressor clutch cycling on/off more than normal.

This last weekend checked static pressure and was equivalent to ambient temp (~70F). Refilled system with refrigerant and A/C coolant die from Autozone. Got cold air and clutch cycles at more appropriate intervals.

Looked around with A/C leak check blue light and glasses and only noticed old splotches on the dryer from possibly when connecting refrigerant bottle to low end. Cleaned it all up checked again after 20 minute A/C operation during idle run. Didn't notice any escaped dye.

Today (four days later), tried to run A/C, got hot ambient air. Outside Air Temp was around 75F. compressor clutch kicks on for less than a second then disengages during cycles on and off. Seems to not hold and run the compressor for more than a split second. Searched all over except possibly behind the dash where the blower is for any A/C refrigerant and dye escaping.

Only thing I can imagine is either there is a leak somewhere in the dash where the evaporator is and I can't see it or maybe one of the pressure switches is failing (doubtful as it just worked after refilling the system) or the compressor, but also doubtful as it worked fine after filling the system. If I can't find a leak anywhere in the engine bay, how can I check the evaporator behind the dash? Thanks!

Rob

If it is an evaporator leak and you have dye in the system, it will show up in the evaporator drain underneath on the passengers side. I have replaced two of these and they get pretty dirty and fouled with debris overtime and can start to leak. Also, look for leaks on parts you do not expect, hoses, tubes, etc and I have used spray soapy water on fittings and just looking for oil residue. O- rings where the compressor connects can also be a common leak spot. Sounds like you have done all of that but if it is the evaporator, you should see the dye underneath the car on the passenger side. The thing is, the water condenses on the evaporator and drains out so some of the dye will be washed away and it may be a weak looking washed dye instead of something more concentrated like you would see on a leak that is not being washed away with water.

Sounds like it is pretty good size leak if it is losing all the refrigerant in 4 days, good luck finding it.

If it is an evaporator leak and you have dye in the system, it will show up in the evaporator drain underneath on the passengers side. I have replaced two of these and they get pretty dirty and fouled with debris overtime and can start to leak. Also, look for leaks on parts you do not expect, hoses, tubes, etc and I have used spray soapy water on fittings and just looking for oil residue. O- rings where the compressor connects can also be a common leak spot. Sounds like you have done all of that but if it is the evaporator, you should see the dye underneath the car on the passenger side. The thing is, the water condenses on the evaporator and drains out so some of the dye will be washed away and it may be a weak looking washed dye instead of something more concentrated like you would see on a leak that is not being washed away with water.

Sounds like it is pretty good size leak if it is losing all the refrigerant in 4 days, good luck finding it.
Well today I did another look around but with a dedicated blue light a coworker that works on Cat equipment gave me. Also injected die that came with the kit through the low-pressure port. I ran the vehicle, looked at all connections, tubing, also checked the blend door operation. All looks good with no leakage. But today I noticed the compressor clutch won't come on at all. Check the solenoid and seems good, bypassed the plug on the low-pressure switch with a wire and the clutch engages. Replaced the low-pressure switch at the dryer (I assume this is the one that commands the clutch to engage so the compressor can run and pressurize the system till the high pressure switch kicks it off). Still nothing, so I'm out of ideas. Short of rebuilding the entire system, I can't figure out where the refrigerant went, why the clutch won't come on but the circuit and switch is good. If there was an issue with the circuit, I'd guess bypassing it at the switch, the clutch would not come on then.

Back