• Register Today It's free!

Air horns anybody?

kurant045

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92XLT 4x4
I want to put some air horns on my explorer to give it a big rig sound. But I'm looking at getting something that will be VERY VERY LOUD. Are these 115db to 134db air horns that are sold for about $30-$40 really loud. I'm guessing that some of you have put these on and I want your opinions. Because I also see horns that cost any where from $150-$250< that's is a big difference in price is it that much of a difference in sound? Any suggestions would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking about doing that to mine for a joke to make people laugh. My dad has them on his service truck and they will definately get some attention, but I'm not sure how many decibels. Any I dont know what the price difference would be for, sound quality I doubt, probably made of more expensive quality materials I'd say.

I got a cheap set from Autozone for $25. It came with two horns that combine to make 118 decibels. The horns are fairly short, so the sound is a little high-pitched, but still very loud. I would like them a little deeper, but those are the sets that cost more--the horns have to be a few feet long to get low notes. I like mine a lot, even though they are a little high. I connected them seperately from my factory horns because my factory ones are connected to the alarm. I got a small plunger switch at Radio Shack and mounted it in my center console so the passenger can have a little fun :)

I just rambled a lot, sorry.

Being that I drove a big rig for a few years, I miss those big honkers, and was thinking of the same thing for my truck, BUT, to get big rig sound you need long horns, a compressor, a storage tank, and you can't use a switch on them, you need a valve with the pull chain, since it requires a LOT of air pressure to blow those deep notes, and the little horn jobs just can't cut it.

I did have those tweeter horns on my LTD wagon once, that is till the compressor gave out, and then the diaphragms went bad. What was really cool was when it snowed, it would get in the trumpets and they would squeak. :)

Someday when I get about $400 set aside, I might get the full kit, and then the hard part would be to find a place to put the compressor and tank. I think a pair of big chrome air horns on an Explorer would look COOL.

KILROY is right

You need an air compressor and a large storage tank. You will have to run compressed air lines to a valve in your cab. I went to a truck grave yard and ripped out the entire system from a international. For about 50 bucks I got two 4 foot air horns, air lines and all the vales and connectors. Since a tracker trailer uses its on air breaks to power the air horns you need to supply the air compressor and reservoir. I use an old propane tank to store the air. The second problem is where are you going to place the 4 foot air horns and not look silly?

I know Hadley makes some loud ones. I haven't seen them on any Explorers but I dont see why they wouldn't work. I know either way they are really loud but i think they cost around $100 maybe even more but they are the long ones and I have seen them one some dump trucks around here.

I thought it would be fun to but the Dixie horns on my truck but where should I mount the horns?

Hadley's

I had a friend at school who had a set of Hadleys on his Bronco II. The horns were about a foot long. The kit had a lanyard pull inside the truck and a small electric compressor and tank under the hood. They were VERY loud, definately got the atention of everyone around when you pulled them.

On my old 78' F-150 I had the compressor set up and an old propane bottle as well. I got mine from JC Whitney and it played 50 different sounds, Dixie from dukes of hazard, it moo'd like a cow, barked, gave a fog horn soud etc, etc... It was $250 and the horns were about 2 feet long, it said it was up to 128 db.

I have been looking at adding air horns for a while... did you know for $1000 and a LARGE air compressor/holding tank you can sound like a train? I don't just mean the same sound as a train, I mean AS LOUD as a train. That means you'll make old ladies pee their pants, you'll shatter windows, and people can hear you from miles away! Oh baby! :). Seriously though, I have looked into it a bit, just haven't worked on it yet as I've been spending money repairing whats wrong rather then upgrading other stuff.

Does anyone know of a good place to put them so they A) dont get wet and B) are out of site

Just wondering if anybody has mounted airhorns to the roof of their rig? Any pictures? I think it would look pretty badass to have a couple chrome 3-footers mounted up there. When i get a little money i'll probably try something like that.

get the electronic horns that are 100 watt...like the cops,firemen, and emts....those are loud...i am getting it eventually

I had them in my first ride (a wrangler) when I was in high school. They were the ones that you can buy at R&S or Strauss whatever they call themselves nowadays. They were the chrome looking ones that w/ 2 trumpets, cost about $40. They are loud and get everyone's attention. I mounted them under the hood and they were still very loud. My bro has the hella ones w/ 3 trumpets in his jetta and they are not as loud. The benifit of useing it is that you can watch as the person in front of you jumps in thier seat from the sound.

I got air horns from Autozone or some place like that for about $30, but after I installed them I realized they were way too high pitched so I took them off and returned them. Eventually I want to get horns that are LOUD, but I haven't looked into it too much yet.

if i were to get an air horn, does it come with its own switch/lever, or does it connect with the factory system? thanks for yout input.

-ken :usa:

The ones I got from Autozone connected into the factory system.

i'm with you matt. why bother with pansy truck horns when you can be heard for miles away with a train horn!!! man oh man that would just be too kool. anyways, here's a though for all you guys and gals that want the horn and need the tank for the air too... take your spare tire out from underneath your truck and build a custom air tank that fits there. out of the way, and big enough for a long blast. then you could mount the compressor next to it too. the only problem would be running the lines to the horns, but that's just a small detail.

Before going with the BIG horns, check the local laws...Here lately, many cities/states have passed laws that ban the use of AirHorns within City limits. Some of the truck manufacturers are now only offering them as an OPTION on the big rigs. I know this first hand, I got citied for useing one in Atlanta 2 years ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A friend of mine had an air horn with 45 different sounds. It was hilarious.

Back