• Register Today It's free!

Air in power steering?

Hunter3006

Reaction score
City, State
Shippensburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Explorer, Limited
Good afternoon, I replaced my power steering pump on my 02 4.0 V6 explorer, flushed the system with Castrol mercon V. Worked the air out of the system, but I get an occasional pulsating in steering system. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it call for mercon or mercon V?
When my PS pump was replaced, the mechanic wrote mercon on the work order, not mercon V.
Maybe he mis-wrote it, though.

Does it call for mercon or mercon V?
When my PS pump was replaced, the mechanic wrote mercon on the work order, not mercon V.
Maybe he mis-wrote it, though.
I calls for mercon, but mercon is unavailable. Mercon V is a replacement for mercon form what I've heard and read.

Ford doesn't make mercon anymore, but other brands make it, or at least a good imitation of it.
But that may have nothing to do with your pulsating problem.

I calls for mercon, but mercon is unavailable. Mercon V is a replacement for mercon form what I've heard and read.
That has nothing to do with your pulsing mercon V is fine let the car run and take the steering wheel go lock to lock left and right for a few minutes and it should force all the air out of itself. Make sure you kept an eye on the tank as it’s going to suck some more down if it has air in. But I flushed with mercon V and I asked my local Ford tech and he said they mix with no issue.

That has nothing to do with your pulsing mercon V is fine let the car run and take the steering wheel go lock to lock left and right for a few minutes and it should force all the air out of itself. Make sure you kept an eye on the tank as it’s going to suck some more down if it has air in. But I flushed with mercon V and I asked my local Ford tech and he said they mix with no issue.
Thanks for the info. Yes my ford shop said the same about using mercon v. I did bleed the system as you say but maybe it needs it done again. I did read that a possible cause could be dirt stuck in a valve.

You should jack and jack-stands under your front cross member to get both front wheels off the ground. Start the engine and turn the wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. Do this 10 times, shut off the engine, and then check the PS fluid level. You need to keep doing sets of 10 all the way right to left until the fluid level stays topped off. Don't leave the wheel all the way at the end in either direction for very long as it's a bit hard on the pump.

It is best to have a vacuum pump hooked up to the PS fluid reservoir during this operation. You usually apply about 15-18 pounds of vacuum. There are several pumps at Harbor Freight that don't cost very much.

Pittsburgh Automotive Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit ($25)
Mityvac Vacuum Pump ($45)
Maddox Dual Vacuum/Pressure Hand Pump Kit ($70)

You also might be able to borrow one from your local parts store.

There are allot of good videos about how to perform the operation with the vacuum pump.

LMHmedchem

Thanks for the info. Yes my ford shop said the same about using mercon v. I did bleed the system as you say but maybe it needs it done again. I did read that a possible cause could be dirt stuck in a valve.
Yeah I was sitting there bleeding for about 10 minutes or so as I flushed a lot new fluid in but after that she was good to go

You should jack and jack-stands under your front cross member to get both front wheels off the ground. Start the engine and turn the wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. Do this 10 times, shut off the engine, and then check the PS fluid level. You need to keep doing sets of 10 all the way right to left until the fluid level stays topped off. Don't leave the wheel all the way at the end in either direction for very long as it's a bit hard on the pump.

It is best to have a vacuum pump hooked up to the PS fluid reservoir during this operation. You usually apply about 15-18 pounds of vacuum. There are several pumps at Harbor Freight that don't cost very much.

Pittsburgh Automotive Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit ($25)
Mityvac Vacuum Pump ($45)
Maddox Dual Vacuum/Pressure Hand Pump Kit ($70)

You also might be able to borrow one from your local parts store.

There are allot of good videos about how to perform the operation with the vacuum pump.

LMHmedchem
Thanks

Also, since you have put a new pump into an old hydraulic system, it is a good idea to add a magnetic filter to your line where it returns to the reservoir.

AAE 102F Dual Filtration Magnetic Power Steering Filter, 3/8" line ($23)

There are lots of these but I like this one because it can remove both ferrous and non-ferrous particles. This keeps any crud that breaks off from your old parts from getting into your nice new pump.

LMHmedchem

Also, since you have put a new pump into an old hydraulic system, it is a good idea to add a magnetic filter to your line where it returns to the reservoir.

AAE 102F Dual Filtration Magnetic Power Steering Filter, 3/8" line ($23)

There are lots of these but I like this one because it can remove both ferrous and non-ferrous particles. This keeps any crud that breaks off from your old parts from getting into your nice new pump.

LMHmedchem
Thanks I'll look into it

Back