• Register Today It's free!

Air inlet hose fix?

C.A.Sizemore

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
So my 97 'spolder has been chewing through my play money budget fast. Here is my current issue; Thermostat housing failed (I thought I had cracked the block, coolant pouring out back of the engine, not a good scene). In the course of removing the housing to replace it the air inlet hose broke. The engine is a 4.0 SOHC V6.

Ford is awful proud of that hose, out the door the local dealer quoted me $236.16!

All that needs to be replaced is the 'Y' shaped rubber piece that connects the hard plastic hose from the air intake to the intake manifold. It was glued to the manifold so I doubt that I can salvage one from the boneyard. This line bypasses the throttle body so it may have had a leak for some time and might explain why she would stumble in the morning.

This truck was purchased from the original owner she has had little or no regular maintenance, oil was changed, but the belt and hoses were all stock on a 16 year old truck that has lived in Arizona its whole life. She has some rough spots that I would like to fix but I need to get her running again first. I am sure the tranny is going to need a service and the rear end just to be safe, but to spend that money I have to get her running first.

So is there a fix that won't cost my, new drivers seat (falling apart) or any of the other things I would like to do for my Bruja (Witch) so named cause she bites every one who puts a wrench on her.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checked NAPA, O'reilly and AutoZone, dealer only part.

IACV tube?

I think you're referring to the IAC valve inlet tube shown in the lower right corner of the photo below.
VISTop.jpg

If so, it is removable and should be available at a salvage yard. There's a flexible elbow near the IAC valve that frequently splits.

Edit: I reread your original post and now think you're referring to the elbow. If so, Ford only sells the entire assembly and the elbow will be scarce in the salvage yard because it frequently breaks due to vibration as well as "handling".

Post a picture, I'm not sure what you're talking about

2000StreetRod, yeah that is the part, and the flexable part is what split. I was doing some searching on ebay and the part call out is the same on '98's. The Tee is the expensive part the part that fails. Searching on Ford parts I found the same call out to, two different parts for the '98s.

Intake Manifold Tube 4.0L; SOHC; Hose, with TEE; Also serviced in 9424 (Upper)

Intake Manifold Tube 4.0L; SOHC; Hose, without TEE; #XL2E-9H308-AA . Also serviced in 9424 (Upper intake)

That tee is the expensive part with it the list is $216.28 with out it $18.55. The one in the your photo is not glued in place and that means I may be hunting the boneyards tomorrow and maybe stopping by the dealer.

No VIS

As I recall the other leg of the Y is capped and goes nowhere (performs no useful function). On my 2000 that does not have the variable intake system (VIS) there is just a bent hose with no clamps.
UPRTOP.JPG

Look for a 1999 thru 2001 SOHC engine and get the tube and just purchase the correct diameter hose and clamp it.

2000SR, You would not happen to have a pic of that. I am going to go out at early and see if I can confirm that the loser line is a dead end on my '97 if so then you just saved me a ton of work. and I can go bone yard hunting for what I really want a new driver seat.

dead end tube

Here's a photo of the underside of the VIS upper intake manifold.
VISBtm.jpg

You can see the tube extends below the left chamber of the upper intake manifold and then just stops. You may be able to just cut off the Y and then connect the supply tube to the IAC valve with 3/4" hose and clamps. O'Reilly's sells 1/2" and 1" i.d. vacuum hose but I don't remember them having 3/4". You may have to settle for heater hose. Dorman makes a PCV elbow that Advance Auto sells that might work. Part number 47050 has an i.d. of 0.8" on one end and 0.72" on the other end.
47050.jpg

2000SR, Dude you are brilliant. Thank you you just saved me the cost of that useless part. I love my Bruja but seriously, the Ford Engineers were nuts. Two hundred dollar use part that does nothing. I am spending part of that money on becoming an elite member because you guys have saved me so much already.

Elite Membership done now to fix my witch.

The Bruja is back up and running. Thanks to you folks on the forum, and 2000StreetRod. You all rock.

Were you able to find any IAC valve inlet tubes in your search? I have the opposite problem, I accidentally snapped my IAC valve inlet tube while changing my alternator. ( feeling pretty stupid right about now). I have not had any luck finding just the tube. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

no vacuum in IAC valve inlet tube

Since the IAC valve inlet tube connects to the main intake tube prior to the throttle body there is no vacuum in the tube so it can be replaced with a flexible hose of the correct diameter. Just make sure the hose has no tight bends that might kink. Depending on where your tube is broken you might be able to "patch" it with flexible hose and clamps.

I will definitely try both of those fixes before going to the dealership. I got the same quote of $236 because you have to buy both tubes and the rubber Y piece together. Thank you very much for the help, I will let you know what happens.

Patched it with some hose and clamps. Worked like a charm and is now running normally again. I might head down to the junk yard this weekend anyways just to see if I am able to find the actual part. Thanks so much for the help 2000streetrod. It made my life a lot easier today.

Searching on Ford parts I found the same call out to, two different parts for the '98s.

Intake Manifold Tube 4.0L; SOHC; Hose, with TEE; Also serviced in 9424 (Upper)

Intake Manifold Tube 4.0L; SOHC; Hose, without TEE; #XL2E-9H308-AA. Also serviced in 9424 (Upper intake)

That tee is the expensive part with it the list is $216.28 with out it $18.55.
Yeah, Ford-Parts is not so helpful with exact part numbers.

For reference, the correct part number for the expensive version with T-connector is 97JZ-9P904-AG ... I think. Other online places have it for $150+ ... Tasca (has an actual photo), Gaudin, etc.

ford-explorer-IAC-intake-hose-with-T-97JZ9P904AG-tascaparts.jpg

The cheap hose without the Y/T-connector seems to also be part number XL2Z-9P904-AA.

I just had the same fix as described here though. Although first attempt was forcing a straight bit of hose to bend, which ended up pinching it almost closed. So then I found an old heater hose with a 90 degree elbow in it and cut that out to use. Not the Explorer heater hoses, mechanic said bore size was a bit off.

Truck seems to run fine so far.

Back