Air intake mod increases fuel mileage and performance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air intake mod increases fuel mileage and performance

Cougar XR7

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Well I don't know what the cold air kits do but all I did was drill 9 holes 1/4" in the front grill and my mileage has increase to 23-25 MPG.
I have a 2012 explorer limited and have tried a lot of things and can't believe the results this has given me. I don't know if I can add a picture but I drilled the holes
just below the top grill the second indent on the right side. I left the first space on the right empty. If you took the air box off you would see where the air comes from but it drops down inside of the front grill. This mod I can feel at 35mph to 60mph my foot barely has to touch the pedal while cruising. I was careful not to drill into any of the plastic supports that are in the grill area.
The best mileage I every saw was 22mpg and regularly got 19-20mpg. I have the 3.5LV6.
This my or may not work for you but I wish I had found this out long ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you install the cold air intake kit or just open the holes in the grill with the factory air intake?

Well I don't know what the cold air kits do but all I did was drill 9 holes 1/4" in the front grill and my mileage has increase to 23-25 MPG.
I have a 2012 explorer limited and have tried a lot of things and can't believe the results this has given me. I don't know if I can add a picture but I drilled the holes
just below the top grill the second indent on the right side. I left the first space on the right empty. If you took the air box off you would see where the air comes from but it drops down inside of the front grill. This mod I can feel at 35mph to 60mph my foot barely has to touch the pedal while cruising. I was careful not to drill into any of the plastic supports that are in the grill area.
The best mileage I every saw was 22mpg and regularly got 19-20mpg. I have the 3.5LV6.
This my or may not work for you but I wish I had found this out long ago.
Which grill do you have? Im very interested in this mod, makes a lot of sense. (post pic if you can)Thank you

Which grill do you have? Im very interested in this mod, makes a lot of sense. (post pic if you can)Thank you
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on April 29, 2021.

Peter

Back