Air intake on undercarriage?

efitz

Reaction score
City, State
Herndon, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport.

Recently I pulled up too close in a parking space and ran the front bumper cover up onto the curb.

As a result I dislodged an air intake of some sort. The intake is slightly off to the right side of the vehicle.

What is this air intake for?

Do I need to get it repaired?

Why is there an air intake 6" off the ground on an SUV? What if I drove through a deep puddle...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's to cool down the engine when towing.

If you intend on towing anything get it fixed.

It is a simple repair as it is held to the undercarriage with three thumb screws. You can do it yourself if you raise the right side of the Sport. Btw, this has to be removed with every oil change if you drain the oil from the bottom.

Awesome, thanks guys!

That's to cool down the engine when towing.
It seems that all the 2013 Sports have this intake whether they have the towing package or not. Must have something to do with the Ecoboost engine cooling.

Peter

follow the channel....it goes to the rear turbo to help cool it since it's nestled back there pretty good.

Just noticed this air intake part was loose on my 2013 Explorer Sport. Recently had an oil change at a Jiffy Lube type place. (These same guys told me that if I didn't use a synthetic blend oil that Ford would void my warranty, which I'm sure is BS.) I suspect they failed to tighten it properly, although I can't tighten it by hand. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the Forum dodgers1.:wavey:
I always have the dealer do my oil changes although according to a few posts, they have also allegedly been guilty of not tightening the defector properly.
A synthetic is recommended but not mandatory. As long as you use an oil that meets Ford's specs. I believe that is covered in the Owner's Guide. My dealer puts regular premium oil in my Ecoboost engine. As for the deflector, it is a very important part of the turbo cooling system.

Peter

I always have the dealer do my oil changes although according to a few posts, they have also allegedly been guilty of not tightening the defector properly.
A synthetic is recommended but not mandatory. As long as you use an oil that meets Ford's specs. I believe that is covered in the Owner's Guide. My dealer puts regular premium oil in my Ecoboost engine.

Peter

Thank you for the info. I'm going to see if the oil change place can tighten the screws. It's tough to get under there without a lift. My original dealer is quite a journey from where I live. It's still under warranty, so maybe I'll go to the local dealer who was not very helpful during my purchase experience.

Just noticed this air intake part was loose on my 2013 Explorer Sport. Recently had an oil change at a Jiffy Lube type place. (These same guys told me that if I didn't use a synthetic blend oil that Ford would void my warranty, which I'm sure is BS.) I suspect they failed to tighten it properly, although I can't tighten it by hand. Any thoughts?

They are partially right. The new engines take semi-synthetic blend oils and no longer use the conventional oil. They come stock with the synthetic blends from the beginning.

Also, I'd avoid changing your oil at Jiffy Lube. They are known for their scams, etc in some parts of the country.

My air intake fell when i went over a speed bump because the person changing my oil decided to tighten it by hand instead of by tool. It's pretty tough though and snapped back on. Thank goodness it was just that and not a broken suspension part of the car lol.

It is a simple repair as it is held to the undercarriage with three thumb screws. You can do it yourself if you raise the right side of the Sport. Btw, this has to be removed with every oil change if you drain the oil from the bottom.
Have a link to buy these thumb screws?

These come on all motors. My 19 is the 3.5 NA and has the light metal duct on the passenger side under the motor.

1st time I noticed the cutout on the lower air damage, I thought a plastic trim piece had fell out. When changing the oil I realized it has a purpose.

These come on all motors. My 19 is the 3.5 NA and has the light metal duct on the passenger side under the motor.

1st time I noticed the cutout on the lower air damage, I thought a plastic trim piece had fell out. When changing the oil I realized it has a purpose.
Not actually so. They are on Explorers with Ecoboost motors and those with the factory tow package. My 2011 did not have one.

Peter

Mine has it, no Ecoboost. But tow package, so

It is designed to channel air to the cooler for the PTU as well as the rear catalyst/turbo area as it can get pretty hot back there.

Pics for anyone interested:
wwS4Jbo7OI194?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

fTlSEO0cdBTN4?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

xWDWqSey6o5Om?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

C_jM72MIOWF9L?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

KPqjh8frFLOE5?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport.

Recently I pulled up too close in a parking space and ran the front bumper cover up onto the curb.

As a result I dislodged an air intake of some sort. The intake is slightly off to the right side of the vehicle.

What is this air intake for?

Do I need to get it repaired?

Why is there an air intake 6" off the ground on an SUV? What if I drove through a deep puddle...
Not actually so. They are on Explorers with Ecoboost motors and those with the factory tow package. My 2011 did not have one.

Peter
My 2016 sport with tow package has it. I just accidentally pulled it off by pulling to close to a parking barrier.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back