Air intake on undercarriage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air intake on undercarriage?

It is designed to channel air to the cooler for the PTU as well as the rear catalyst/turbo area as it can get pretty hot back there.

Pics for anyone interested:
View attachment 328892

View attachment 328893

View attachment 328894

View attachment 328895

View attachment 328896
Has anyone seen this design....mine on my 17 looks like your pics, but this is also floating around

260514762_4923621800981549_244516317704694719_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone seen this design....mine on my 17 looks like your pics, but this is also floating around
It is the same item but likely has been updated.

Peter

It is basically a PTU cooler....
No, the PTU cooler is something else. This air duct "squirrel catcher" draws air up toward not just the PTU, but the rear catalyst and turbo. It is on all Sport models and may be found on ones with towing package, etc.

The jury is still out how effective it really is, ut some air movement back there is better than none.

View attachment 423914
It looks damaged and/or melted. There are 3 thumb screws that hold it on. Take it off and get a better look at whats going on.

No, the PTU cooler is something else. This air duct "squirrel catcher" draws air up toward not just the PTU, but the rear catalyst and turbo. It is on all Sport models and may be found on ones with towing package, etc.

The jury is still out how effective it really is, ut some air movement back there is better than none.
There appear to be some water-cooled PTUs, but not all are. There is a heat-sink bolted to the side (pic attached from a PTU lube change video). Is that what you are referring to by "the PTU cooler is something else". If the duct is not primarily for PTU cooling, why would it be found on Explorers with a towing package ? I agree with the question of effectiveness and better than nothing, but the turbos have water cooled center bearings and run so hot that a little ducted air would seem pointless.

cooler.png

It looks damaged and/or melted. There are 3 thumb screws that hold it on. Take it off and get a better look at whats going on.
Not my duct, but posted by a member of a Sport FB group....Looked damaged/modified to me as well until I found this new part online. Curious as to why there would be 2 designs and which superseded which. I have removed mine each time I have changed oil and also bought new clips in case in case the thumb screws dont tighten properly.

s-l640.jpg

Not my duct, but posted by a member of a Sport FB group....Looked damaged/modified to me as well until I found this new part online. Curious as to why there would be 2 designs and which superseded which. I have removed mine each time I have changed oil and also bought new clips in case in case the thumb screws dont tighten properly.

View attachment 423917
A parts site will usually indicate if a new part replaces a previous one.

Peter

There appear to be some water-cooled PTUs, but not all are. There is a heat-sink bolted to the side. Is that what you are referring to by "the PTU cooler is something else". If the duct is not primarily for PTU cooling, why would it be found on Explorers with a towing package ?

A parts site will usually indicate if a new part replaces a previous one.

Peter
The strange part of this is when I enter 2017 Sport (which we know are all turbo 3.5 EB) into the parts search, it says the part # that is installed on my vehicle doesn't fit, though the description says "3.5 turbo". It then directs me to the part which "does fit" that states it is for a non-turbo 3.5. 2 different part numbers, not a supersession. Bottom line, why the difference, as the mounting points are interchangeable.

pi2.png pi.png

I just checked and AutoNation Ford says the same thing about fitment.

Peter

I just checked and AutoNation Ford says the same thing about fitment.

Peter
Yeah....very strange. The OE part on my 17 Sport is the one shown for the 3.5 turbo but the listing says it does not fit and refers me to the one that says non-turbo. That aside, Im simply curious regarding the reason for the difference in design. Now this is following me on the internet as an ad.

ffffff.png

Probably just a updated design, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Probably just a updated design, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
No lost sleep....appears one is for the NA engine and the other for the turbo....just curious why have 2 designs ?

No lost sleep....appears one is for the NA engine and the other for the turbo....just curious why have 2 designs ?
Perhaps the design is not quite the same since the NA doesn't need turbo cooling. One helps to cool the PTU while the other helps in cooling the PTU and rear turbo.

Peter

P
Perhaps the design is not quite the same since the NA doesn't need turbo cooling. One helps to cool the PTU while the other helps in cooling the PTU and rear turbo.

Peter
Not convinced the duct is designed for turbo cooling but still see no reason to dumb down the turbo version for the NA engine. Seems the same design would work for both. Will casually seek a definitive answer to satisfy my curious brain. :confused:

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport.

Recently I pulled up too close in a parking space and ran the front bumper cover up onto the curb.

As a result I dislodged an air intake of some sort. The intake is slightly off to the right side of the vehicle.

What is this air intake for?

Do I need to get it repaired?

Why is there an air intake 6" off the ground on an SUV? What if I drove through a deep puddle...
I am pretty sure that is the air intake for cooling the PTU. It is very important to keep the PTU cool. They are very expensive to replace.

Here is a copy of a post in the Ford Escape forum that asked the same question and seems to suggest it does 'double-duty' if you have the Ecoboost. That is perhaps why there a 2 different part numbers.

"It's in fact a scoop/vent that channels cold air towards the back center of the engine where it exits air into a short "Y."
One channel of the "Y" exits 'flat' or straight - however you want to interpret it - in the vicinity of the transmission.
The other channel of the "Y" exits with an upward swoop (ramp-like curve) towards the downpipe (exhaust pipe, post-turbo).
Hope this helps."

Peter

I am pretty sure that is the air intake for cooling the PTU. It is very important to keep the PTU cool. They are very expensive to replace.
I agree....given the operating temperatures at which turbochargers operate, a little cool air would seem to have little effect. I have owned a number of turbocharged vehicles and non had any forced air cooling for the turbos. In addition, the EB turbos have water cooled center bearings and blowing cool air on the exterior would have no effect on the internal oil and water temps.

Here is a copy of a post in the Ford Escape forum that asked the same question and seems to suggest it does 'double-duty' if you have the Ecoboost. That is perhaps why there a 2 different part numbers.

"It's in fact a scoop/vent that channels cold air towards the back center of the engine where it exits air into a short "Y."
One channel of the "Y" exits 'flat' or straight - however you want to interpret it - in the vicinity of the transmission.
The other channel of the "Y" exits with an upward swoop (ramp-like curve) towards the downpipe (exhaust pipe, post-turbo).
Hope this helps."

Peter
Interesting.....does the Escape have a PTU similar to the Sport ? The exhaust will always be extremely hot, but that is the death of the PTU.

Again...the is an air duct designed to send air to both the PTU (really only to the cooler that is bolted to the side of it) as well as the rear turbo/catalyst area. I'm not disagreeing that it may or may not be very effective, but that IS where the air is going...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im confused....are you stating that the duct is directing air at the water cooled heat exchanger on the PTU ? It is my understanding that not all PTUs have the exchanger but I cannot ascertain which do and dont, or the reason they are not universal. I have not had the opportunity to put mine on ramps and check, but will do so this week. Any ideas on why water cooling would be optional and which models or option packages may include the water cooling ?

Back