Air intake on undercarriage? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air intake on undercarriage?

Im confused....are you stating that the duct is directing air at the water cooled heat exchanger on the PTU ? It is my understanding that not all PTUs have the exchanger but I cannot ascertain which do and dont, or the reason they are not universal. I have not had the opportunity to put mine on ramps and check, but will do so this week. Any ideas on why water cooling would be optional and which models or option packages may include the water cooling ?

Not sure what's confusing about it...
Again...the is an air duct designed to send air to both the PTU (really only to the cooler that is bolted to the side of it) as well as the rear turbo/catalyst area. I'm not disagreeing that it may or may not be very effective, but that IS where the air is going...

The cooler...yes...AKA, the heat exchanger...the "tail" of the duct splits into a "Y" shape, with one arm pointing at the heat exchanger and the other pointing toward the area where the catalyst and rear turbo sits...

This wasn't supposed to be a post about the PTU (there are TONS of posts here about the PTU), so I didn't want to hijack the thread with the topic, but I've written pretty extensively about the component on my blog, as well as on this forum. But I will post this link again for you:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what's confusing about it...

The cooler...yes...AKA, the heat exchanger...the "tail" of the duct splits into a "Y" shape, with one arm pointing at the heat exchanger and the other pointing toward the area where the catalyst and rear turbo sits...

This wasn't supposed to be a post about the PTU (there are TONS of posts here about the PTU), so I didn't want to hijack the thread with the topic, but I've written pretty extensively about the component on my blog, as well as on this forum. But I will post this link again for you:

Thanks....great information to have. Will be checking mine this week when the temps warm up a bit. Im going to share in our 5th Gen Sport group. Ability to retrofit is intriguing....may start collecting parts.

Thanks....great information to have. Will be checking mine this week when the temps warm up a bit. Im going to share in our 5th Gen Sport group. Ability to retrofit is intriguing....may start collecting parts.
Sport group on FB? I'm already there and have posted this on there as well.

Sport group on FB? I'm already there and have posted this on there as well.
There are 2....one I started....Ford Explorer Sport Enthusiasts, and Ford Explorer Sport 5th Gen. Have never seen the PTU link but it if it old news, Im certain someone will let me know.

This one?

I'm a pretty regular contributor there and have definitely posted this a number of times. The PTU topic is tiring, especially in that group. Ppl are lazy and just don't search. Between that and "WhIcH TuNe ShouLd i UsE/iS bEst?"....lol

This one?

I'm a pretty regular contributor there and have definitely posted this a number of times. The PTU topic is tiring, especially in that group. Ppl are lazy and just don't search. Between that and "WhIcH TuNe ShouLd i UsE/iS bEst?"....lol
Yep....that's the one. What is your name in the group ? Ive only belonged since the first of the year, so I probably missed it. Never really searched PTU's as it was obvious from the outset that the "sealed/lifetime lubricated song and dance is bunk. Had mine and the rear diff changed at 30K and have done 17 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF in 4 drain & refills vs Ford's 150K "normal use" interval. Ive been working on my own vehicles and aircraft since I was 16, but the Sport, like most vehicles, has a learning curve and proprietary issues. The tune query is amusing....I have the Unleashed 93 and take the bait and promote Torrie McPhail anytime a "what is the best tune" monster rears its head.

Yep....that's the one. What is your name in the group ? Ive only belonged since the first of the year, so I probably missed it. Never really searched PTU's as it was obvious from the outset that the "sealed/lifetime lubricated song and dance is bunk. Had mine and the rear diff changed at 30K and have done 17 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF in 4 drain & refills vs Ford's 150K "normal use" interval. Ive been working on my own vehicles and aircraft since I was 16, but the Sport, like most vehicles, has a learning curve and proprietary issues. The tune query is amusing....I have the Unleashed 93 and take the bait and promote Torrie McPhail anytime a "what is the best tune" monster rears its head.
We are starting to veer off-topic...apologies to the OP

Profile:

but my FB page is what I put all my car-related topics:

And check out my actual blog for ideas on what to do to your car:

We are starting to veer off-topic...apologies to the OP

Profile:

but my FB page is what I put all my car-related topics:

And check out my actual blog for ideas on what to do to your car:
Thanks for the links.....you are obvious very well educated on numerous subjects.....will follow.

Some photos with red arrows showing airflow. I have straight pipes, so the catalyst would typically be where the arrow ends in the first pic...

20211129_104807.jpg

20211129_104817.jpg

I've been reading this with interest as there was a similar discussion on the SHO forum as some (if memory serves) Flex and SHO came with a different "pan" underneath that had NACA ducts to send air in a similar way. I bought my 2018 SHO new, and those ducts are blocked off.

I checked with my dealer about this for my 2016 FPIU. They said it's not specifically for my vehicle, but could be added. (Kind of like a hood pad)

I am trying to ascertain from the photos in this thread if the inlet for these is cut out of the bumper, or just beneath. I also wonder why a police vehicle wouldn't have something like this...unless it would interfere with the installation of push bumpers, etc..

Some photos with red arrows showing airflow. I have straight pipes, so the catalyst would typically be where the arrow ends in the first pic...

View attachment 424004

View attachment 424005
Interesting.....thanks for the pics....climbing under today or tomorrow to see what I have. Given all the underbody turbulence created at speed, (lacking a belly pan to assist in reducing drag coefficient) I still find it difficult to believe the duct is of much help in cooling, (I think we agree on this) but I assume it cant hurt. Ill let you know if Im water cooled or not. I had considered fabricating an extension to carry the duct all the way to the cutout in the chin spoiler, but havent gotten around to it. Thx again.

I've been reading this with interest as there was a similar discussion on the SHO forum as some (if memory serves) Flex and SHO came with a different "pan" underneath that had NACA ducts to send air in a similar way. I bought my 2018 SHO new, and those ducts are blocked off.

I checked with my dealer about this for my 2016 FPIU. They said it's not specifically for my vehicle, but could be added. (Kind of like a hood pad)

I am trying to ascertain from the photos in this thread if the inlet for these is cut out of the bumper, or just beneath. I also wonder why a police vehicle wouldn't have something like this...unless it would interfere with the installation of push bumpers, etc..
The cutout is in what I refer to as the chin spoiler

263092920_1272912726521340_3856540458953803968_n.jpg

Do you have the 3.7NA or the 3.5 ecoboost FPIU? That may be what is playing a difference.

I also frequent the SHO forum (And find it much more enjoyable than here, btw. True enthusiasts there) and know that the Flex shares a bit more in common with the SHO than the Explorer, despite all 3 being much the same platform (drivetrain-wise) That under-pan you refer to is designed to accomplish what this duct accomplishes for the Explorer, whose engine sits lower in the bay than the Flex or SHO (take a look at both the front a rear subframe...you'll notice the Explorer has 1" thick by 3-4" diamter "pucks" between the body and subframe that the Flex and SHO don't have (I've often wondered if removing these would give another inch of lowering, btw, LOL).

Becasuer the engine sits slightly lower (in comparison to the body of the vehicle) than the SHO and Flex, the duct is used instead of the belly pan.

Since we are showing photo's. Here is what I've got. I've recently been entertaining the idea of making a larger one (there's plenty of room for it) that can flow more air, out of fiberglass or carbon fiber...see my cardboard trial, lol.

20200916_084557.jpg

20200916_084615.jpg

20200916_084238.jpg

20200916_084227.jpg

20200916_084230.jpg

20200719_111618.jpg

20200719_120519.jpg

20200719_120523.jpg
20200719_111618.jpg

Do you have the 3.7NA or the 3.5 ecoboost FPIU? That may be what is playing a difference.

I also frequent the SHO forum (And find it much more enjoyable than here, btw. True enthusiasts there) and know that the Flex shares a bit more in common with the SHO than the Explorer, despite all 3 being much the same platform (drivetrain-wise) That under-pan you refer to is designed to accomplish what this duct accomplishes for the Explorer, whose engine sits lower in the bay than the Flex or SHO (take a look at both the front a rear subframe...you'll notice the Explorer has 1" thick by 3-4" diamter "pucks" between the body and subframe that the Flex and SHO don't have (I've often wondered if removing these would give another inch of lowering, btw, LOL).

Becasuer the engine sits slightly lower (in comparison to the body of the vehicle) than the SHO and Flex, the duct is used instead of the belly pan.

Since we are showing photo's. Here is what I've got. I've recently been entertaining the idea of making a larger one (there's plenty of room for it) that can flow more air, out of fiberglass or carbon fiber...see my cardboard trial, lol.

View attachment 424028

View attachment 424029

View attachment 424030

View attachment 424031

View attachment 424032

View attachment 424035

View attachment 424033

View attachment 424036 View attachment 424034
3.5 EB TT 2017 Sport. As I mentioned, Ive been toying with taking the duct all the way to the opening in the chin spoiler. I have a great deal of sheet aluminum left over from an LSA homebuilt project (Light sport aircraft) but fiberglass would seem an easier material to work with. I have done any fiberglass fabrication however, since my SCCA Formula V race car way back in the '80s so I would need to get up to speed, pun intended.

11713680_1052436751440883_2130005223575809811_o.jpg

3.5 EB TT 2017 Sport. As I mentioned, Ive been toying with taking the duct all the way to the opening in the chin spoiler. I have a great deal of sheet aluminum left over from an LSA homebuilt project (Light sport aircraft) but fiberglass would seem an easier material to work with. I have done any fiberglass fabrication however, since my SCCA Formula V race car way back in the '80s so I would need to get up to speed, pun intended.

View attachment 424050
The question on which type of FPIU was meant for @MattMPA , hence the reason why I quoted his post...

The issue with taking it to the chin spoiler is...well, let's be honest, sometimes we get a bit too close to the curb when parking, lol...Maybe a little closer, but not right up to it...at least not for my taste...

The question on which type of FPIU was meant for @MattMPA , hence the reason why I quoted his post...

The issue with taking it to the chin spoiler is...well, let's be honest, sometimes we get a bit too close to the curb when parking, lol...Maybe a little closer, but not right up to it...at least not for my taste...
Sorry about that. Indeed, the entire assembly seems intolerant of curbing which I assume is the reason many are missing...guess we could increase the area of the scoop intake and the hole in the chin spoiler without risking additional damage.

Sorry about that. Indeed, the entire assembly seems intolerant of curbing which I assume is the reason many are missing...guess we could increase the area of the scoop intake and the hole in the chin spoiler without risking additional damage.
That's where the front camera comes in handy, for those that have it. ;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back