• Register Today It's free!

Air Intake silencer removal?

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
I am sure I had seen somewhere here about a thread telling about removing the silencer in the Intake air bod before the air filter, and the results.

does any one remember it, or has done this? Any mileage or performance gains? noisier?

BTW - 2001 Sport Trak, 4.0 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remove the airbox, pull and twist the silencer straight out and done. People have claimed mpg increases.

How much of a PITA is pulling the box? Does it unbolt from the bottom?

And following the logic, would then enlarging the remaining hole help any more?

On a non-heavily-modified engine all you'll get is noise. Kind of like flipping the air cleaner cover over used to do on carbureted engines.;)

Oh yeah, most of ya'll don't know about carburetors. It's an early design for squirting gas down the intake!:shifty_ey :mattmoon: :chug:

But, it's cheaper than adding a CAI that sucks HOT air in from the engine compartment. :rolleyes: :D

:popcorn:

NC-R,

I am indeed old enough to remember that trick on any GM motor with a "Quadrabog" 4-bbl carb. Won't work with a 2-bbl. :p:

You just ratted yourself out, old man !!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lubricate the rubber grommets on the airbox before attempting to remove.

Struggled for 1/2 hour prior to spraying them. Came right off. Gains? It's louder. LOL

Okay, I think I pretty much understand the basic concept of what to do. But I wouldn't know what the heck the silencer is just by looking at it. Does anyone have a picture or could someone describe exactly what I'm looking for?

There's the air box and on the frontside of it there's a cone intake (can't miss it).

Here is the illustration of the "silencer", which is more correctly known as the fresh air intake duct. It is doubtfully very much of a restriction and as I see it, is more functional to keep HOT air from the intake than it's removal is a benefit.

SilencerNOT.gif

i removed mine a long long time ago and it took me like 5 min to take it out.

Got it, took me like a half hour. Hah to spray those rubber grommets, those things would not budge! Thanks for the help!

Whoooosh! At least it "sounds" faster. LOL

Glad to see ya Steve ! Good to know you didn't fare too badly from the tsunami.

Could have been alot worse though there was some major damage in certain areas.

Thanks for all your great help on the boards, and for your concern. Aloha Bro!

I removed my air intake box today. Used wd40 to pop the seals on the rubber grommets then pulled the intake tube that points towards the nose out of the air box. Once did that i cut half the front of the airbox away and then reattached the airbox to the explorer.
Once I reconnected everything I hit the highway. Much more low ruble roar from the engine. Getting on the freeway is awesome or sounds awesome at least. I recommend this mod.

blrrr23, just be careful when it rain or offroading/ driving through puddles because with the front of the airbox exposed the filter is exposed to the elements as well and with get dirty and wet even faster.

The low rumble you hear now is becauseall the air turbulance in the air box trying to force it's way in through the filter, I recommend you get a K&N or another washable/ reusable filter now if you haven't already done so.

I like the idea of louder, but not the watch for weather part,
and did i hear carb. much easier to start, poor gas in the carb. then turn key= easy start up after long time sitting

blrrr23, just be careful when it rain or offroading/ driving through puddles because with the front of the airbox exposed the filter is exposed to the elements as well and with get dirty and wet even faster.

since you brought it up...any ideas on the hydroshield?? still havent bought one for my short ram, dont know if its a practical investment? anybody?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember the carburetor, love the simplicity lol, worked on a few holleys. My thought for increasing the airflow and drawing more cold air into the airbox, would instead be to drill about a 3" hole on the lower inside airbox facing the pass fender and run a pvc pipe into the pass fender well to draw in outside air. Then you would get cool air from behind the headlight and from the passenger fender well. Real cold air intakes often use this design anyways.

Back