• Register Today It's free!

Air intake tubing

audiodude332001

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 5.0
hey Everyone, I'v been planning on making a new intake for my 92 for a while now. I'v got a bunch of black pipe that looks like ABS, but the wall thickness is only 1/16". All i need is a frickin 90 degree elbow, and I can make the intake. My problem is that I can't find an elbow anywhere that will work. I already have a 45 degree elbow for the piping, but it is a weird type of elbow that slips INSIDE of the actual pipe, not outside. Is there a special name for this type of piping? Iv been looking online for hours, and I'v called a ton of places around here, and no one has it. It is 3" ID, and 3 1/8" OD. It says M&M Hose Co. on the 45 degree elbow. Can anyone help me out here????????????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made an intake tube about like you are talking about before but it really won't do any good for the motor. I had no gains due to the intake tube. The best mod would be to add a KKM intake to the stock intake tube. I have noticed some nice alloy intakes on eBay for the 91-94s that look nice.

Iv already got the KKM intake, with the cone filter. But I just want a new tube to add to it now. and Im really not in the mood to spend alot on a new tube when I can make it myself.

The ABS plactic tube won't do you any good performance wise. In fact, it transfers the heat much easier than the stock tube and will have ill effects on your performance. That's what happened to me.

If ABS wont gain me any performance, then what type of pipe can I use that will?

There was a study done by an engineer here on the board a while back. He said 3" Alluminum (sp? I'm terrible sometimes) was good beacuse it didn't transfer the heat enough to make an effect. I'll have to search for the thread to find it.

you have a type of irrigation pipe, the fitting is called a spigot elbow, probly a slip x spigot. slip goes over the pipe while spigot inside. abs should be alright, know a few guys who used it in their mustangs

Back