Air Intake | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Intake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the k & n i got off amazon for 200 shipped to my house. i am impressed with it, i notice the difference in the high rpm range, and it makes the engine sound better. i think either one you go with will be fine, pretty much do the same thing.

I just installed the K&N as well wish I did it a long time ago. Really goes great with my Magnaflow exhaust

Dare I ask if anyone has made/ found a kit for a snorkel?

I ordered the volant last night, should get it before the end of the month.

ok time to go back to square 1.....

ANTHING with the filter inside the engine compartment & OPEN/Exposed is a HOT air intake not a COLD air intake... don't be misguided.

The best heat sheilds, the best hood seals, the best block-this/baracade that is STILL a HOT air intake. Never confuse the reality.

Yes, this is one of my personal pet-peeve's with the aftermarket, right along with special spark plugs & other marvel-mystery products.

Volant is the ONLY company to either build it right or just not build it. K&N tries to claim this & then turns out intake after intake with no benefits...

Volant is the only option I am aware of that completely closes off the filter, uses a 2-way stepped conical filter, & has improved piping/ducting to the engine... heck you'd think they should hire me to work for them... Lightening, Supercharged Harley F150, Focus, Explorer... all the same core design. if its made its made RIGHT.

I know, I know... KKm, K&N, hundreds of others... spare me the replies...

No one makes one for the '04-up 4.6L V8... I improved the intake ducting... opened the OE air box.

ANYTHING inside the engine compartment that is not completely enclosed is a hot air intake... sorry K&N... fail.

Rob

ok time to go back to square 1.....

ANTHING with the filter inside the engine compartment & OPEN/Exposed is a HOT air intake not a COLD air intake... don't be misguided.

The best heat sheilds, the best hood seals, the best block-this/baracade that is STILL a HOT air intake. Never confuse the reality.

Yes, this is one of my personal pet-peeve's with the aftermarket, right along with special spark plugs & other marvel-mystery products.

Volant is the ONLY company to either build it right or just not build it. K&N tries to claim this & then turns out intake after intake with no benefits...

Volant is the only option I am aware of that completely closes off the filter,
uses a 2-way stepped conical filter, & has improved piping/ducting to the engine... heck you'd think they should hire me to work for them... Lightening,
Supercharged Harley F150, Focus, Explorer... all the same core design. if its
made its made RIGHT.

I know, I know... KKm, K&N, hundreds of others... spare me the replies...

No one makes one for the '04-up 4.6L V8... I improved the intake ducting...
opened the OE air box.

ANYTHING inside the engine compartment that is not completely enclosed is a
hot air intake... sorry K&N... fail.

Rob

So I chose the right one, haha.

I have a question about the KKM intake. Mikeylikeit - why do you personally like that intake? Does anyone else have that intake?

I have the KKM. Well made piece but as 2002GreyHD said it's not a cold air intake.

I monitor my IATs and on the highway they sit a few degrees above ambient. Stopped in traffic they go up quick after a few minutes...well over 100 degrees in 50-60 degree weather.

Power still doesn't seem to be an issue though. I was actually hoping for a mileage gain by the induction of hot air....time will tell if that works.

has improved piping/ducting to the engine...

Do you think a noticeable improvement is possible by changing the ducting from the stock "corrugated" tube to a smooth tube of the same size? Seemed unlikely to me at part throttle driving conditions since the throttle plate is still blocking most of the flow you might gain from the tube but I could easily be overlooking something.

Curious what your experience has been with this.

Thanks!

81995e68.jpg

Just got it and put it in today, sound good and a little more pep

That Volant looks great!

X2:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice!! The sound is pretty nice, isn't it? :D

ive got the mac intake, its nice and looks good, im satisfied with it

Thanks JDT! Where did you order yours from? Can you post pics of it installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here ya go
39190_134035416639072_100000978424315_171476_7594992_s.jpg

ohh and i ordered it from MAC's site

Back