Air Intake | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Intake

That Mac looks great on your Ex. I will hopefully be ordering mine soon :)
Thanks JDT!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks!, and no problem

so basically the OEM filter intake is an actual cold air intake with just a more restrictive air tube and filter?....I am thinking about trying one of these, Reading some reviews it seems both volant and K&N might very slightly improve mileage / power, seems like the K&N makes a little more noise(because of the open element) and the volant probably improves performance because of actually bringing in cooler air...

so basically the OEM filter intake is an actual cold air intake with just a more restrictive air tube and filter?....I am thinking about trying one of these, Reading some reviews it seems both volant and K&N might very slightly improve mileage / power, seems like the K&N makes a little more noise(because of the open element) and the volant probably improves performance because of actually bringing in cooler air...

You got it.

Replace the tubing on your current intake (do a search for "Stage II intake" here), add in a K&N filter, and don't cut or drill the airbox. That's probably the cheapest, free flowing, cold air setup you can have.

The Volant is a cool air intake not quite a cold air intake. It gets it's air from the back of the headlight but there is still a gap between the core support and the box to where some warm air will still get in. Although if you take the head light out it is pretty much a ram air intake (also if you have a ram air hood). Replacing the tubing and putting in a better filter and opening up the factory box a bit is pretty much exactly what a Volant is. I got the Volant because I can put it back to stock if I sell or trade it in.

You got it.

Replace the tubing on your current intake (do a search for "Stage II intake" here), add in a K&N filter, and don't cut or drill the airbox. That's probably the cheapest, free flowing, cold air setup you can have.

Thanks for the info. I might try that, but the other ones look so pretty! haha

Any chance just an aftermarket air tube between the box and throttle body is avail? One that fits the stock air box?

Back