• Register Today It's free!

Air keeps flowing

fordysenior

Reaction score
City, State
Snow elevation California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
My 2002 Explorer has the manual air controls. When the Mode Selector Control (the control on the right) is in the straight up position, it should block off incoming air. But I do have air coming from the lower vents -- I can turn the temperature knob and it will change from hot to cold air and back to hot with no problem. The fan is not on. There is no clicking noise. I'm thinking something is not closing all the way to block off the outside air from entering the vehicle. No one has taken apart the dash since it was new. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basically all the vacuum actuators break off their mounting points to the flaps. So the flaps just go to a resting position. Most likely, your getting Flow through of fresh air.

"Flow through of fresh air" -- yes, that's what I'm thinking is happening. Also, I remember now I did remove the bezel to install an aftermarket stereo -- maybe I didn't put something back together correctly . So how do I fix this problem, remove the bezel and look for a problem, or would I be looking in the wrong place?

You drop the glove box and look up behind the dash with a light. Find which flaps are busted. There's varying fixes for them, ranging from "deal with it," "rig it" and pay $1,400 for Ford to fix it.

I've been wanting to get some intact flaps/doors from the wrecking yard and see about having someone cnc them out of aluminum. If enough people were interested (3 doors for most of us) cost might be minimal.

maybe I didn't put something back together correctly .
I don't think so. You can't get at the fresh air flap from the outside, but you can wreck the water proofing on the stab-tabs of the bezel. Then you will keep finding rain water on top of your engine. Not a disaster, but not good, either. A few pieces of cut up kitchen sponge and a tube of silicone caulk will fix it right up.

The fresh air flap is in the box right in front of the glove box. I live in Florida where, "fresh" air is more like, "sauna" air so I used my fresh air flap for a Frisbee and found somebody had already placed a blockage on the intake air hole under the bezel. Cool.:cool: No road steam comes in my car from the front.:)

I don't think so. You can't get at the fresh air flap from the outside, but you can wreck the water proofing on the stab-tabs of the bezel. Then you will keep finding rain water on top of your engine. Not a disaster, but not good, either. A few pieces of cut up kitchen sponge and a tube of silicone caulk will fix it right up.

The fresh air flap is in the box right in front of the glove box. I live in Florida where, "fresh" air is more like, "sauna" air so I used my fresh air flap for a Frisbee and found somebody had already placed a blockage on the intake air hole under the bezel. Cool.:cool: No road steam comes in my car from the front.:)

I bet a/c's drip so bad there you'd think there was a big coolant leak...are the streets always wet from them too? lol

I bet a/c's drip so bad there you'd think there was a big coolant leak...are the streets always wet from them too? lol
Part 1, You're right. Just about the first thing I did to this car was find out why there was a puddle under the middle of the dashboard. (Most evap coils are on the passenger side.)
But, no...the streets steam off the A/C water quicker than it can build up and run toward the curb. We mostly find puddles in parking lots where a car just arrived or stayed a short time and just now left. In many designs, the evap fan helps suspend the condensate water in the cold coil. When the fan stops, the coil dumps its water load, kind of like the car is having an ****** or taking a whiz when you shut off the engine.:D

My a/c vent mode selector switch has 5 vacuum hoses coming off it. They appear connected. With the engine running and changing the selector switch, I see the top actuator (I think thats what its called, with the metal arm that moves back and forth), the top actuator is connected with vacuum and the arm moves back and forth and the arm is connected to plastic and it rotates with the arm. The lower actuator has the vacuum connected, the arm moves back and forth, but I can't see what it is connected too, but when I grab it, it has no play in it so I assume it is also connected to a plastic rotating arm. When the selector is in the position for lower vent only, or lower vent plus defroster, in both positions I get air from the lower and from the defrost vents. It does not feel as there is a change after moving the selector switch. I'm thinking that maybe the selector switch itself is defective. Any thoughts?

After checking on youtube, I found another actuator, it's the one that connects to the fresh air door -- the actuator works, but the metal rod is not connected to the fresh air door. So apparently I need to replace the fresh air door, I can see it after removing the the dash top panel by the windshield. Do I have to remove the dash to repair it, or is there an easier way?

After checking on youtube, I found another actuator, it's the one that connects to the fresh air door -- the actuator works, but the metal rod is not connected to the fresh air door. So apparently I need to replace the fresh air door, I can see it after removing the the dash top panel by the windshield. Do I have to remove the dash to repair it, or is there an easier way?

Glue it shut, lol. If you need fresh outside air open a window, lol.

LOL, after looking at some videos, I think that is the best solution. It looks like a nightmare. The little plastic arm that the actuator connects to is still in place on the door -- I can make the fresh air door swing back and forth. It looks like I need to just connect that metal actuator arm back onto the plastic piece of the door, but I don't see what holds it on and keeps it from sliding off. If I can't figure out something easy enough, yes, glue or screw it into the closed position. I never was fond of fresh air flowing through all the time, with diesel fumes and road kill odors and all.

hope this helps

Yes, I saw that video. But I got it fixed yesterday. I removed the cowl panel by the windshield and used a small mirror to see down inside. I could see the actuator arm was disconnected from the plastic arm of the fresh air door, but at least the plastic arm was there and not broken (thanks to another youtube video I could see what part normally breaks). After removing an arm scraping bracket from behind the glove box, I was able to reach up and reconnect that metal arm to the plastic arm. I can't figure out what holds it in place, but I went to the store and bought different connectors. The only one I could get on the plastic arm of the door was an 0-ring. Hopefully that will hold. My fresh air door never fell off or broke, the actuator arm became disconnected, but what holds it on from the factory, I have no idea. Thanks all. and if it comes off again, I know how to fix it permanently. Why when running the a/c would I want hot outside air to come inside the vehicle. It's kind of ridiculous to have so much fresh air come in. It should be a separate option. But I didn't make it.

Back