Air Ride - Simple Question

GrimmGeordie

Reaction score
City, State
Deeping St James, Lincolnshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer North face
1999 Model Explorer.

Bought yesterday. Air ride light is on. Searched and found it means the Air ride switch in the boot is switched to off.

So the question is what will happen if I switch it back on?

If the Air ride system is broken will I mess anything up by switching it on.

Should I leave well alone and just leave it switched off?

Cheers

Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing terrible will happen, but my guess is that it's been switched off for a reason. Most likely there is a leak somewhere, and the compressor will run non-stop. Driving with it off is not a good idea, because as far as I understand, the rear springs in models equipped with air ride are deliberately weak, and need assistance from the air in the shock absorbers. The most common cause of failure is leaking shock absorbers, which (at least in the US) are not too expensive to replace. Many have abandoned the air suspension system and installed conventional, stiffer shock absorbers. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic here - search.

That panel drivers side rear that comes right off and theres the switch. If there is a leak you will hear the pump kick on pretty often. How often I can't say cause mine didn't cut on except when I got out of the vehicle or once in a blue moon while driving. But my check air-ride would come on so I replaced them with regular shocks. I still have to pull the module from behind the radio so I don't get the check air-ride notice.

Okay.. I have no check air ride warning so will switch it off later and see how I get on, my only concern was if suspension goes down will it ever go back up again with a fault as don't want to be driving a low rider !

As for cost of parts will probably if needed buy from the US as you have way better supplier, I can't even find a set of ignition leads from major suppliers here!

Thanks for the quick resonse to you both.

Update flicked the switch on and pump was on near enough most of the time but not air ride check light
Only had it running for five to ten minutes with a short drive

I'd say you have a leak in a hose. Also check and make sure your ride sensors that attach to the front control arms and rear axle are attached correctly and haven't fallin off. My rear one the nub it attached to rusted off. The air-ride leaf springs are softer because the shocks are supposed to help 'boost' the ride like old style air shocks. I had a sag and just put in 2" lift shackles for now til I order new springs.

Thanks very much for the replys I will try to get under the truck next week and will post an update

Many thanks

Michael

Welcome Michael. The rear shocks for the ARC Explorers are still available from an eBay seller who evidently bought hundreds of them. I bought two pairs back in 2006 when I rebuilt my 99 Limited. The ones I bought were not in Ford boxes, so part of the decent price is I think that they were unboxed shocks with some minor scrapes etc. Here's the link to a seller who has them now, it may be the same one I bought from;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161027207945

The rear height sensor, ARC compressor and lines are the weakest links at this age. I suggest getting under the truck and cleaning what you can, especially around the air connections. The compressor is above the spare, atop the frame cross member there. The compressor is very reliable, but any air leak will force it to run too much. That will damage the compressor eventually, and they are not cheap to replace.

Carefully handle the rear height sensor, the ends are very fragile. There are ball and socket ends that connect the links of the sensor, and they do corrode and fall apart with age. Lubricating them with anti-seize after being cleaned does help a lot.

My new for me 98 Limited had the ARC system non functional, like most vehicles with it. Previous owners removed the compressor and height sensor, half of the lines, and put normal shocks in it. I'd like to find a spare compressor to have for my 99 truck, which is again going to be my mail truck. I love the self leveling feature of the ARC system. It's useful for some people.

Welcome Michael. The rear shocks for the ARC Explorers are still available from an eBay seller who evidently bought hundreds of them. I bought two pairs back in 2006 when I rebuilt my 99 Limited. The ones I bought were not in Ford boxes, so part of the decent price is I think that they were unboxed shocks with some minor scrapes etc. Here's the link to a seller who has them now, it may be the same one I bought from;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161027207945
It's hard to tell for sure, but seems that the ebay seller is offering Motorcraft after-market service shocks, not the original Ford ones. Nothing wrong with those, except that as far as I know, they don't have the electronic stiffness switching function (which is not worth much to begin with). His price seems on par with the Monroe brand sold by Rock Auto, etc. In fact, the Motorcraft-branded ones are probably made by Monroe anyway.

I'm sure they don't have the electrical feature in them, that was done away with right after production of the model. I wish they still had it, but it was minor, just an adjustment of the stiffness like the old Turbo Coupes had. It's not a big thing for a heavy SUV, and it may have been prone to issues in these.

I didn't know the Monroe shocks might be cheaper now, they used to be closer to $160 each. I got my Ford shocks for about $100 for the pair from eBay, and Ford wanted $90 each at that time. They will all be the same shock basically, and might be from the same maker. The fronts for 95-98 models might not even be available, people with those earlier trucks have been much faster to disable the system. That's been mostly due to the cost of new shocks. I have a pair of the old fronts from a 98 Limited that I got the system out of to put into my 99. Those things are rough, and I'm a pack rat that hasn't tossed them yet. One has the top shaft(threads) broken off. I need to get those out of my shed and say goodbye(or hello to more space).

Update and sorry for late reply....

Got under the truck last week, could not see anything obvious.

Went for a drive with Air ride on, after approx. 8 miles it came up on the dash (same light as when switched off).

Also compressor runs not all the time but most of the time and also when ignition off for about forty seconds, stops for about twenty seconds then back on for 20 seconds.

Will have another go to try and identify the leak, hoping its not a shock as truck did not cost me a lot of money and don't want to throw money at it!

Use a simple bottle of water with dish washing soap in it. Spray that on the air line connections when you are getting the compressor to run. A very slight leak is okay at the connections, but you don't want a steady stream or air/bubbles.

Back