Air Ride Suspension | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Ride Suspension

So did you get the new shocks installed and the air ride back to correct operation? Would be interested to know if the dealer reinstalled the sensor part that was disconnected. Any chance you might take a look and see if the "ladder" part is reattached?

Sorry for the delay guys, have had a sick kid...

So we got the rear shocks on...They seem to be working fine, took the railroad tracks like a champ...No roll-bounce.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. Although, I am no longer sure of what the "proper" ride height should be, so it might still look bit high. Could it have been due to the previous bad shocks in the rear, causing it to appear off/or the sag was what I was used to?

I believe it might still be a little off, but the front shocks are on their way as well. This is NOT a cheap ride....LOL We haven't changed out the rear ride height sensor or bracket yet, holding out for "luck!" :)

Anybody know what the ACTUAL base ride height should be on this truck? My understanding is it lifts 1"-2" in 4Low & 4High depending on the mode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Romeo, I'll have my husband look at the sensor and bracket to make sure it's connected properly.

I'll also try to get some pictures of the under-body with the NOS shocks too.

Once someone re-attaches it to the correct position then, and only then, will you be able to determine if everything is working correctly. I do suspect the shocks are not the problem at all, though it is cool you were able to track down a pair of originals that will give you the 4x4 vs 4x2 ride change.

Elaborate, please......

What do you mean 4X4 vs. 4X2?

What exactly is the correct position, then? I had the pictures for reference that Sean & Don gave (& your instructions) and apparently that is the way mine look. Again, I will take more pictures tomorrow to show it's current state...If something looks off, I'm sure you guys will let me know! :D (I'm counting on it..)

Well done Bree, Green Sales is an old well known obsolete parts business. I've bought some things from them long ago. Those prices are about right for how they set them.

Thanks!! It took alot of research and phone calls....

If I was going for the OEM ARC system, I too would want the proper shocks. The front are more important, and harder to find used. I have a pair still but one has the stud broken off, I should have gotten rid of them long ago.

Which one's broken? If the right one is good, would you sell it to me???

Spray the air line joints with a lubricant occasionally, as well as the rubber bladder of each ARC shock(at the base barely visible). The goal is to keep those parts clean and to stop corrosion or cracking.

Any particular product to use?

FYI, The ARC shocks need to be used only in the ride height range set by the ride height sensors. Do not alter the ride height by any means well known here or by any 4WD business, without first adjusting the height sensor heights. Changing the ride height without adjusting the sensors properly, will result in the air compressor running constantly(max air pressure in the shock), or zero air in the shocks. That will kill the shocks, which clearly are not cheap.

I don't think I will be letting anyone touch that truck (the suspension at least) for a LOONNGGG TIME! lol

The ARC air compressor assembly is easily maintained or repaired, though very expensive. Businesses exist that service those. I bought a new dryer for $40, the Explorer compressor is on eBay now for $175, new. I rebuilt the compressor mounts(rubber etc), using certain grommets and washers. Now you can buy the stock type bolts/mounts I think for $20. Mine are much better(pictured) and will last indefinitely. Regards,

When searching on Ebay, any keywords in particular you think I should use?

Sick kid? Dont let that side track you. J/K, we all wish him the best.

The 4x2 vs 4x4 is supposed to provide extra lift for off road. Not sure if that is true, because with my AWD I was under the impression that it just provided a stiffening when going from normal to offroad. Im sure someone knows for sure.

I gutted my air ride today. Right front was blown. Left front was so stiff I couldnt compress it. The other bad thing was the compressor would not quit running. I had started the Ex up yesterday to warm up, got out to go inside and it just kept running. So, for now the annoying ARC off or check air ride until I pull the radio and the module.

thanks guys and gal(s)
<///>< shooked

Thanks shooked....He's better now. But, when you have a 7 year old who's "mommy's baby," (not to mention a sick one) he seems to vie for attention...constantly!! LOL, I am sure all of those parents out there know exactly what I mean.....;)

I gutted my air ride today. Right front was blown. Left front was so stiff I couldnt compress it. The other bad thing was the compressor would not quit running. I had started the Ex up yesterday to warm up, got out to go inside and it just kept running. So, for now the annoying ARC off or check air ride until I pull the radio and the module.

My understanding is the same as well, but what is supposed to be the normal ride height when in Auto? I don't have an on/off switch on the console like some, as mine is AWD all the time with the Auto/4High/4Low switch....

My compressor doesn't run all the time, but it does kick in while driving. I can't remember if that is normal or not. It comes on when you start the truck, and it will also kick in when you get out of the truck. I hope it doesn't get to that point that you were at today.....

Thanks shooked....He's better now. But, when you have a 7 year old who's "mommy's baby," (not to mention a sick one) he seems to vie for attention...constantly!! LOL, I am sure all of those parents out there know exactly what I mean.....;)

My understanding is the same as well, but what is supposed to be the normal ride height when in Auto? I don't have an on/off switch on the console like some, as mine is AWD all the time with the Auto/4High/4Low switch....

My compressor doesn't run all the time, but it does kick in while driving. I can't remember if that is normal or not. It comes on when you start the truck, and it will also kick in when you get out of the truck. I hope it doesn't get to that point that you were at today.....

Take good care of the family, the rest is trivial.

You have A4WD, that is automatic 4WD, not AWD or anything like AWD. AWD is permanent and constant, never 2WD. The automatic 4WD is an electrically controlled system, a clutch inside the transfer case to engage the front driveshaft only when needed. Thus it's 2WD all the time unless slipping is detected, or the switch is placed in 4WD etc.

The ARC shocks are just two part numbers, front or back. Try to find the new ones first, if they are out there they will last much longer than a used part. I'd sell this one for maybe $20 and shipping, it is a little heavy.

I like PB Blaster generally for a penetrant and as a decent lubricant for under body things. The height sensors could use Permatex anti-seize placed in the ball joints.

Thanks for the well-wishes....I ALWAYS make sure my boys are first...;)

You have A4WD, that is automatic 4WD, not AWD or anything like AWD

My mistake..typo, as I forgot the "4."

The ARC shocks are just two part numbers, front or back. Try to find the new ones first, if they are out there they will last much longer than a used part. I'd sell this one for maybe $20 and shipping, it is a little heavy.

I got the rear two on..(brand new) and just got the front left one today. However, the right (front) one is the one I can't seem to locate...anywhere.

Is that the one you have that's still good? Or is that the one broken at the stud? If it's operational, I'm still interested in buying it. Are you able to give me that part number from that one? I can give you my part number..send me a PM if you want to delve further....

There are 2 part numbers with corresponding letters differing depending on the side and whether it's front or back. SO CONFUSING! lol

I like PB Blaster generally for a penetrant and as a decent lubricant for under body things. The height sensors could use Permatex anti-seize placed in the ball joints.

I will look into that this weekend....Thanks for the info!

Don, any insight as to what the correct "base" ride height should be for my ex?

I'll look at these two OEM shocks, I'd bet money that they are alike or interchangeable from left to right. I'm not sure what numbers may be on them. I'll look.

I'm not sure what the height should be, it's not really official or the same for every truck you might check. I'd go by appearance as much as anything, slight changes up or down will not affect the ride. Of course an alignment is required if you do change the front height. Lower is better for handling and safety in general.

Do you like it where it is, or not? I think I have the 1999 I rebuilt, just below the stock height. I have no front ARC shocks remember, I did that with the torsion bar adjustment bolt. Tire diameter affects the appearance also, my tires 245's, 1/2" shorter than stock 255's.

Attachments

• Projectthread106.JPG
    Projectthread106.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 430

Ok, so here's the rear again...this time with the new shocks. Input?

Also, I forgot to mention that my tires are not the stock size (235/75R15), so I guess that too will make a difference in the ride height appearance. (go easy, it wasn't my doing...getting bigger tires on Black Friday...) Any suggestions? I currently have Michelin's.

img20111118001831.jpg

While it's on my mind, take a close peek at the doors. If you can see it or not, my driver's side doors seem to be getting rather dull these days. The more I wash (which isn't often at all), the more dull/hazy they look. If I leave the truck dirty, it doesn't look nearly as bad as when it's clean. Anybody have any good fixes/tidbits without involving a new paint job just yet??? (these shocks ripped me a new hole...) LOL:(:rolleyes:

img2011111800182.jpg

Don, were you able to find out if in fact I can go with two lefts? If so, I will be snatching up another left one while I can. If not, I am still interested in your right one if it's in feasable/operable condition...:D

Also, do you know if the ride height sensors in the front are different from the rear one? I was able to track down the rear sensor and replaced it, but I think I want to get my hands on the fronts too for back-up.....

I'll look at these two OEM shocks, I'd bet money that they are alike or interchangeable from left to right. I'm not sure what numbers may be on them. I'll look.

The part number for the left one that I have is:

F57Z-18124-SF <--LEFT FRONT

The part number for the right is:

F57Z-18124-MFA <--RIGHT FRONT

In case anyone ever needs them, there you have it.

I'm going to assume that the last set of letters are just identifiers maybe? (Left or Right) Does that necessarily mean that you can use say 2 "SF's" or 2"MFA's" for replacements as you mentioned Don??

Here's some pictures of the Left one I got yesterday:

img2011112000184.jpg

img2011112000187.jpg

img2011112000188.jpg

img2011112000189.jpg

img2011112000190.jpg

I'll check the numbers today, they are in the trunk of a spare car(hunt the key). Those part numbers will help a lot for identification. I couldn't see any difference between them, and shocks otherwise are the same left to right. If the difference is the wiring connector, that is easily altered.

I forgot that the 94-98 Limiteds all have 15" tires, so the 235/75/15 is the stock size. The 15's are 29" tall, and the 255/70/16's are 30" tall. I like all of the Limited wheels. I'd want to lower the truck a little, but with the ARC sensors that isn't easy. It looks at that angle to be about right for stock.

I have the extra front sensor somewhere, it should be good. The front sensors are much less fragile than the rears. I have had Mark VII's which use similar sensors, and those are very reliable.

Just wax the car well every xis months and it should look better. You can use a very mild cleaner wax(it has grit in it), to carefully rub off a thin amount of clear coat paint, that may help a lot too.

Okay, I looked at my used front shocks. I was wrong, the lower part of the shock cannot rotate apart from the upper section. They are unfortunately unique to each side. I doubt that the air line could be fitted to the outer part of the "wrong" shock mounted on the other side.

The shock I have that is broken(stud) ends in SF, so it's a left shock by your part numbers. I didn't look at the part number of the other one, but it should be the other side. These shocks look rough, as I'm sure your old ones do.

If you can't get the one right shock new, I'd want to have a spare used one, but I'd also first try hard to make the "left" unit work. I don't have a vehicle with those front ARC shocks, so I'm not at all familiar with where the lines do run near the shock. The existing lines are not long enough for reaching the outer part of the shock. But the lines are evidently not hard to come by in straight lengths to fit. I would see about attaching a length of new line which can manage to reach around the odd "left" shock and enter have a 90 degree turn to the shock.

All of the parts I have were supposed to have come from one 1998 Limited. I paid about $500 for everything, including all of the wiring(the whole set of harnesses). Night,

Its basically just like you said Don. The right and left are different, but I agree with you that you could add an extension of tubing to make them work either side. Both the air inlets point forward when mounted and both of the bottom mounting tabs are angled at least a 35 degree angle \ /. I know this because I just gutted mine.

Its basically just like you said Don. The right and left are different, but I agree with you that you could add an extension of tubing to make them work either side. Both the air inlets point forward when mounted and both of the bottom mounting tabs are angled at least a 35 degree angle \ /. I know this because I just gutted mine.

The existing lines are not long enough for reaching the outer part of the shock. But the lines are evidently not hard to come by in straight lengths to fit. I would see about attaching a length of new line which can manage to reach around the odd "left" shock and enter have a 90 degree turn to the shock.

Any thoughts on the most "painless" way to go about that? Or, would I need to run new, longer line? It won't damage it up against the shock like that would it?

If that is a possible solution, then I might just go ahead and snatch that other left one "just-in-case."

I'd need to see the area around the air lines going into the shocks, to make a judgement about how much trouble that would be.

The air lines come from the back, below yes?

I have a new set of front ARC air lines, still in a Ford box. I bought it at the same time as the rest, thinking I'd install the whole system. I later changed my mind to use just the rear(1999-2001) system. I found a 99-01 ARC module to use, and it works fine.

On my 98 they come from the front at below and up to the air inlets. I cant take a picture now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'98 Explorer Eddie Bauer Air Ride Suspension Trouble

Hello,

I too am having issues with the air ride suspension on my 98 Eddie Bauer. I replaced the original shocks with Monroe compatible ones and everything seemed fine. I now notice that only front shocks are taking air and lifting the front end but rear ones remain the same and rear end sags. I disconnected air lines into rear shocks and air blows from them. Why would the front shocks inflate and not the rear? Are there different valves that may be letting the air out of rear but not the front? The lines do not seem to be leaking air. Can someone help please? Its getting very annoying to hear that compressor running and seeing only the front lift.

Thanks

Back