Air Ride system raised my EX 2 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Ride system raised my EX 2 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer EB 5.0 AWD
Okay, so when I first got my 98 AWD Ex, I quickly realized that the ARC was crap. The shocks constantly leaked, or sometimes they didn't. Sometimes it had a gangster lean sometimes it didn't. I looked into replacing them, only to discover that they were extremely expensive. I knew from my previous encounter with Ford's ARC on my 88' TurboCoupe (no, not a Thunderbird, a TurboCoupe!) that you could simply switch out the ARC for regular old shocks.

HOWEVER.....

I had my EX in the off-road mode (which is supposed to initiate the ARC, and provide the vehicle with an extra 3-4 inches of lift or so I am told). Normally, due to the aging/leaky shocks all the off-road switch did was firm up the ride on bumpy roads. On this particular day, I pulled up to the front of my house and left my EX running, unloaded a few things and walked to the backyard leaving the rear hatch up.

When I returned, the rear of my EX was at least 1-2 feet higher!! The ARC system had gone into overdrive!! When I walked up to the rear of the truck, the bumper was ABOVE MY WAIST!! I had to take a running jump to close the rear hatch because it was way up in the air (and I'm 5'9").

Man do I wish I had taken a picture of that. But it has only done this two times in the past year.

Ok after all that here is my question:

Was the ARC system ever designed to lift my EX up that much? Is there a way I can set the height level myself? Are the front shocks capable of 1-2 feet of lift as well or was this just a freak incident by the ARC gods, trying to make me think I had a something nearly as useful as a full lift kit costing in the thousands?

In my opinion if the ARC system is capable of giving me 1-2 feet of additional clearance just by flipping a switch, the I will spend the money to replace the entire thing tomorrow. In the end that ARC system works better for me than a traditional lift kit would.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, if I get a chance today, I'm going to mess around with the ride height sensor and see if I can duplicate that episode.

ideas? next time it happens go and find a camera and get a pic of it! i'm not so sure about its performance off-road compared to a more solid lift kit..

x2.. There is NO way the air ride system can give any more than a few inches (if that) of usable lift. The front end geometry and steering isn't setup for it and as they say a pic is worth a 1000 words. Next time it happens be sure to take pics of the front and rear suspension so we can see whats going on with it.

When I returned, the rear of my EX was at least 1-2 feet higher!!

I can believe a couple of inches more than the "off road mode" if something malfunctions, but the stock shock, leaf spring and shackle setup in the rear of the Explorer just won't allow that. On top of that, you'd be snapping brake lines as well. No way you're getting 12-24" of upwards travel with everything hooked up... A little higher than stock...probably, but no way 1-2'

Yeah the shock doesnt have that much travel.

The obligatory :
:ttiwwp:

I know this is nearly impossible to believe, but it seriously lifted the backend a foot.

Ok, so I'm going to get pics of this now. I might not have time today, but I will tomorrow.

Subscribing, I say blasphemy!

Guys come on, this is a very serious problem. This guys air ride system malfunctioned as well.
ZX-XQ043-lg.jpg

I can believe a couple of inches more than the "off road mode" if something malfunctions, but the stock shock, leaf spring and shackle setup in the rear of the Explorer just won't allow that. On top of that, you'd be snapping brake lines as well. No way you're getting 12-24" of upwards travel with everything hooked up... A little higher than stock...probably, but no way 1-2'

Exactly.. I had to adjust the hard brake lines (and install extended brake hoses) on my 4" lift. Lifting 1-2' would have torn the brake lines apart..

My friend snapped one of his lines on a pothole and deflated his rear, I don't think it will go that high up...

Turn those feet into inches and you have a 12 to 24 inch lift kit...there is no way.

I have no doubt the air ride system lifted your vehicle a few inches, but 1-2 feet would be an optical illusion rather than hard #s.

i am surprised you didn't rip your break lines off and there is aftermarket controllers for the air ride system. where to get them, I don't know but i have seen air ride adjusted on ford by the driver like a car with hydraulics.

The ARC height is not adjustable, it does have a front and rear height sensor for 95-98 ARC trucks. The suspension wouldn't do well lifted very much, and the springs are purposely softer than normal non ARC trucks. They have the softest springs, thus the nicest ride.

You can fabricate ways to raise or lower the height sensors, but be very careful about that. It takes very little change to a get a big ride height change. You do need to adjust those height sensors if you change the ride height in other ways. The ARC shocks need to have some air in them at all times, and also not with full pressure in them. If you don't adjust the height sensors mechanically in some way with a ride height change, the shocks will not be as useful, and will wear out faster.

The ARC height is not adjustable, it does have a front and rear height sensor for 95-98 ARC trucks. The suspension wouldn't do well lifted very much, and the springs are purposely softer than normal non ARC trucks. They have the softest springs, thus the nicest ride.

You can fabricate ways to raise or lower the height sensors, but be very careful about that. It takes very little change to a get a big ride height change. You do need to adjust those height sensors if you change the ride height in other ways. The ARC shocks need to have some air in them at all times, and also not with full pressure in them. If you don't adjust the height sensors mechanically in some way with a ride height change, the shocks will not be as useful, and will wear out faster.

Now that is some truly useful information!! Thanks.

As for everybody else, when I get that picture, you will be believers! I am beginning to think that someone modified the ARC, it doesn't look stock.

This thread needs pictures. Last I heard, Steve had them.
9c59b99aef6ed3c159a50de80b7e30d9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that is some truly useful information!! Thanks.

As for everybody else, when I get that picture, you will be believers! I am beginning to think that someone modified the ARC, it doesn't look stock.

If you got 1-2 feet of lift it would have to be a hydralic setup. When you raise your back end off the ground you only get about 6 inches before the tires will lift because the spring is at it's limit. At that kind of height you could have just about flipped your explorer over by hand.

Back