• Register Today It's free!

Air Ride to Gas Shocks

NOCO BII

Reaction score
City, State
Loveland, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'87 BII
have a 97 explorer 5.0 limited all wheel drive w/ air shocks with electric wires going into the top of the shock (front and back).

Questions?
Can I switch to regular gas shocks???

I ordered the Monroe (p/n 40005, 40007 and 40006) and when I received them they are they wrong ones for my truck. They are a non-electric air shocks.

Can I still use them???

What to does the wires going into the shocks do anyways???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't go from auto adjusting shocks to non. You explorer has automatic vehicle ride control. It automatically adjusts the pressure in the shocks to compensate for the road conditions. This is a system your supposed to disable by pulling the fuse any time you jack your vehicle as well. You can go to standard shocks, but I'd advice you spend the extra $10-20 more per shock for the auto's.

The Monroe shocks will work but you will no longer have the firmness adjustment that the original shocks had. Most people go with the monroes beacause they are alot cheaper than the motorcraft ones.

I wouldn't go from auto adjusting shocks to non. You explorer has automatic vehicle ride control. It automatically adjusts the pressure in the shocks to compensate for the road conditions. This is a system your supposed to disable by pulling the fuse any time you jack your vehicle as well. You can go to standard shocks, but I'd advice you spend the extra $10-20 more per shock for the auto's.

$10-$20 dollars more for what shocks?? part #

From autozone.com
Gabriel Hi Jackers / Shock/Strut - Rear Price:$63.99 (price includes both rear)
Part Number: 49232
Weight: 6.8 lbs
Warranty: LLT
Application: Without adjustable suspension
Notes: Air adjust shocks Hi-Jackers sold in pairs, air hose kit included

As for the fronts you will have to dig for those on your own, didn't popup in my quick search and Autozone updated their website which is throwing 10 errors each time I load a page.

Fronts: 1995-2001 Ford Explorer - KYB Front Shock Absorber - Gas-a-just
Part Number: KYKG54309
found on different site
http://www.##################.com/d...KYBQQShock_AbsorberQQ19952001QQKYKG54309.html

You already have the correct shocks. Your car will still raise and lower with the 4x4 switch and auto level when you have a heavy load. All you will lose is the electric ride control.

Back