• Register Today It's free!

Air Shock

Jdauphine

Reaction score
City, State
bklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Lmt
I have a 96 Ford Explorer, I currently have Standard Gas Shocks on them but I want to switch them to Air Shocks. I have been looked @ the Gabriel Hi Jacker Air Shocks from Autzone. Are those similar to the OEM. I brought this Explorer used wo Air Shocks, so I know nothing about ithe Air Ride System. I did change the shocks and I noticed that the Bolt Pattern on Gabriel are different the Gas shocks.

If I install Air Shock will that take the sag out of the rear? I have been reading about Shackles for Leaf spring area, will that help also?
I have trieed the Leaf Spring Helpers but that didnt take the Sag out!!! The Leaf Spring helper does HELP on NYC Concrete Jungle....Pot hole absorer...lol

I do think the Air ride system work, when I switch it on, I can hear a Compessor or motor trying to work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the air shock system changes the pressure of the shocks to provide a constant ride on different surfaces. It could possibly take a little bit of sag out of the leafs, but I would not rely on those to do a whole lot. Your best course of action is to look into some of the many guides on here about adding additional leafs or swapping the leafs completely. A couple places sell replacement sets for around $150 and they are referenced in a couple of those guides. You could call around and find a shop that can re-arc them, this usually runs about $80 per set and takes a few days.

I've got Air Shocks on my Exploder and it totally removed my rear-end sag. It is a great help especially if I need to load up the back with some heavy stuff.

The shock mounts weren't designed to carry the load of the truck. Springs are supposed to carry the load, shocks damp the body movement with respect to the suspension. Transferring the weight carrying loads to the shocks are not the solution IMHO.

Shackles are a band-aid that works decent enough. The *proper* fix IMHO is to rebuild/replace the leaf spring pack, but that's just my opinion. (I've got the Warrior shackles on mine)

-Joe

I HAVE A 00 SPORT THAT HAD THE REAR END SAG PUT ON AIR SHOCKS THAT WILL RAISE THE REAR END ANYWHERE FROM 1 TO 3 INCHES, BEST THING I HAVE EVER PUT ON THIS TRUCK BESIDES THE BL I JUST ORDERED:p:

the only thing air shocks are good for is a cheap, temporary lift. (i say temporary because they will spring a leak and start sagging before long) they suck for shock absorbing and other things too.. i guess i'm just not a big fan of them (used to have them on my mustang.. got rod of them and put in gas shocks)

ive had them for a few months now about 15,000 miles and off roading everyweekend, no prob at all,

The shock mounts weren't designed to carry the load of the truck. Springs are supposed to carry the load, shocks damp the body movement with respect to the suspension. Transferring the weight carrying loads to the shocks are not the solution IMHO.

Shackles are a band-aid that works decent enough. The *proper* fix IMHO is to rebuild/replace the leaf spring pack, but that's just my opinion. (I've got the Warrior shackles on mine)

-Joe

This is the only post with some sense. Shock absorbers are not normally designed to carry the weight of the vehicle. If they were the height of the vehicle would be affected when they wore out or were removed.
When shocks support the vehicle the shocks and shock mounts are prone to breaking.

The Monroe shocks, are designed for towing and hauling, therefore when u put them on an explorer that is not carrying the extra weight, is raises the vehicle due to the excess pressure in the shock, that is there for the extra weight that is not present.

The Monroe shocks, are designed for towing and hauling, therefore when u put them on an explorer that is not carrying the extra weight, is raises the vehicle due to the excess pressure in the shock, that is there for the extra weight that is not present.

Do you even know the purpose of the shocks and the purpose of the leaf springs? The leaf springs are load bearing where as the shocks dampen movement. When you transfer the load to the shocks you put all the stress on the shocks and shock mounts which it was not engineered for. I don't care what the selling point of the shocks was that you want to believe but that is not their purpose. If you were talking air helper spring you may have a point.

i understand the purpose of the shocks and springs, i am speaking about the air shocks i have that are also air bags. i do have leaf springs but the shocks are mounted between my frame and axel

i understand the purpose of the shocks and springs, i am speaking about the air shocks i have that are also air bags. i do have leaf springs but the shocks are mounted between my frame and axel

You have no clue.
Air shocks
monroeairshocks.jpg

Air helper springs
airhelpspring.jpg

air shocks and air bags/helper springs are entirely different things for different purposes

air shocks and air bags/helper springs are entirely different things for different purposes

They are both band-aids. The dude from the original post needs new/rebuilt leaf springs. Enough said.

Concur

you are all correct, i dont know what i am talking about, but then again everything on my X is a band-aid,

Welcome to the club.... Come on GI Bill money, hurry up!

i was just stating my expiernce with air shocks and the air bags has worked well for me, i put 35,000 miles on my X a year and have never had a leak nor have had any leaking,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back