• Register Today It's free!

Air Suspension Question

bobinyelm

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Explorer Ltd AWD
I am noticing that on my 2000 Explorer, my air pump runs every few minutes for about 15 seconds when I am parked using the accessory function of the ignition switch.

I imagine that this is telling me I have a leak in the system?

The stationary height of the rear end is about 1/2 inch lower when the air system is turned off and not running and the leaf springs alone are supporting the rear end, So I guess it could also be in my rear springs have sagged a bit since new?

Does it harm anything other than having the dash light "Check Suspension" illuminated driving around with the air suspension system turned "off" in the cargo compartment?

If I do have a leak, I see no purpose to allowing the pump to run so often that it wears the pump out as well.

I have not found after market replacement air shocks for this vehicle that are intended to be used with the factory air suspension.

The Ford dealer says replacement shocks are about $400 for new ones (not installed). Has anyone found a source for these after market?

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks-

I looked at the referenced posts, especially #8 , saying the rear air shocks are made by Monroe, but I am not sure whether the air shocks Monroe sells (to the public) are FOR the factory air shocks fitted to my Explorer, or are for AFTER-MARKET installation of air shocks (meant to be filled from a compressed air source).

In other words, will any air shocks that FIT my vehicle WORK with the factory pump set-up? Is there anything "special" about the OEM units that is different from over-the-counter air shocks?

I see discussion of front air shocks in some models, but my Explorer (V-8 AWD) only has them in the rear.

Given that OEM springs for air shock equipped vehicles are softer (and the car sits lower) installing non-air shocks would not restore intended factory ride height.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with Monroe part numbers that work hooked to the 2000 Ford OEM air system, because at $205 ea. for Ford parts, I am likely to pass. Call me cheap, but $450 seems a bit spendy to me to re-gain 1/2" ride height.

The 40007 Monroes say they are for:
"Rear Left; 4WD; AWD; w/Automatic Ride Control; Non-Electronic Adjustable Unit" Not sure if my air system is "ARC" or "Electronic Adjustable Unit"

If these ARE the right ones, I'm happy to spend the $70/ea from Rock Auto.

My present OEM air shocks DO seem to damp the suspension quite well, so that part of them isn't worn out.

Maybe I need to get under the vehicle with a spray bottle with soapy water to make sure the supposed leak isn't in the piping/tubing or fittings.

More suggestions based on experience w/ this system most welcome, because the owner's manual doesn't say amything. I purchased Vol1 and Vol2 of the OEM Ford Workshop Manual-maybe when they arrive I will learn more.

Caveat: this is based on my experience with the '98 Limited, which has air suspension on all four wheels.

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be leaking shock absorbers. It happened first on the rear, and a couple year later on the front pair. Ended replacing all four.

Do you have an on/off road switch? In the off-road position it raises the vehicle about 1" and stiffens the shock absorbers. The stiffening is done by a solenoid-actuated valve inside the shock absorber, which is controlled by that switch. There is an electrical connector on the shock absorber for that purpose. If you don't see an electrical connector, don't even worry about 'electronic' shocks at all.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), those electrically-controlled stiffness shocks have been discontinued years ago, and nobody (your Ford dealer included) has them. So if you replace the original ones, you'll lose that function. I couldn't tell the difference, and you probably won't either.

To the best of my knowledge the Motorcraft-branded replacements are made by Monroe, and are identical to what's sold with the Monroe label and part numbers. The difference is the price: the Motorcrafts cost twice as much.

Hope this helps.

Thanks-
I looked at the referenced posts, especially #8 , saying the rear air shocks are made by Monroe, but I am not sure whether the air shocks Monroe sells (to the public) are FOR the factory air shocks fitted to my Explorer, or are for AFTER-MARKET installation of air shocks (meant to be filled from a compressed air source).

In other words, will any air shocks that FIT my vehicle WORK with the factory pump set-up? Is there anything "special" about the OEM units that is different from over-the-counter air shocks?

I see discussion of front air shocks in some models, but my Explorer (V-8 AWD) only has them in the rear.

Given that OEM springs for air shock equipped vehicles are softer (and the car sits lower) installing non-air shocks would not restore intended factory ride height.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with Monroe part numbers that work hooked to the 2000 Ford OEM air system, because at $205 ea. for Ford parts, I am likely to pass. Call me cheap, but $450 seems a bit spendy to me to re-gain 1/2" ride height.

The 40007 Monroes say they are for:
"Rear Left; 4WD; AWD; w/Automatic Ride Control; Non-Electronic Adjustable Unit" Not sure if my air system is "ARC" or "Electronic Adjustable Unit"

If these ARE the right ones, I'm happy to spend the $70/ea from Rock Auto.

My present OEM air shocks DO seem to damp the suspension quite well, so that part of them isn't worn out.

Maybe I need to get under the vehicle with a spray bottle with soapy water to make sure the supposed leak isn't in the piping/tubing or fittings.

More suggestions based on experience w/ this system most welcome, because the owner's manual doesn't say amything. I purchased Vol1 and Vol2 of the OEM Ford Workshop Manual-maybe when they arrive I will learn more.

Thanks-

I think I am figuring this out somewhat.

My vehicle only has air shocks in the REAR (in place of the regular shocks that work with the leaf springs), and they have only a single rubber air line going to each one. The system does not have different settings-it's ON or OFF, and they level to a preset height of the rear only. The front suspension is strictly torsion bars.

I ran a test this afternoon, where I got under the rear with the engine running, disconnected the height sensor arm on the right axle tube and raised it, and propped it on top of the horizontal arm, simulating a depressed rear suspension condition.

The pump started, and raised the rear maybe 2", and the pump stopped.

I pulled the sensor down and put it back on it's ball pivot, and I heard a solenoid click, and a hissing sound, and the vehicle dropped back to normal, and remained there, with the pump not coming on again for the 5 minutes I stayed under monitoring. That seemed normal as the system attempted to return the vehicle to the pre-set design height.

Earlier today (when I posted), sitting parked with the ignition sw in "ACC" using the radio, the pump ran a few times per minute, making me believe I had a system leak. I duplicated that experiment this afternoon (hours after posting) and could not duplicate the system cycling I had this morning.

I did some investigation, and yes, my type rear air shocks are Monroe 40006 and 40007 (L & R are different), and are under $70/ea from www.RockAuto.com.

I suppose that leaks can be in the pump/check valve/deflation solenoid/tubing, or the shocks themselves. Next time I have the cycling, I will try pinching the air lines off, and lowering the sensor (to simulate a sufficiently high suspension) so the pump shuts off and see if the vehicle settles (indicating a leak in the shocks). If it doesn't settle, the shocks are good, but any leak is likely in the hoses (out of sight) or the pump assembly, which will take more investigation.

So, today may have been a "fluke" but if not I have some investigative work to do I guess.

In the meanwhile, I gather that turning the system "OFF" via the switch located nest to the jack and tools and driving the vehicle like that won't damage anything?

The air system on my Limited cycled continuously when I got it so I turned the switch off.
The damping of the standard air shocks was buggered so I replaced all the shocks with Bilstein and Konis.

I prefer control over height adjustability.

I've got some heavier torsion bars to go in if I ever get around to it. B I think.

My air shocks seem to damp fine w/ the pump off, and I could live w/o air leveling, though towing or if carry much it would be nice to have the vehicle level. Certainly NOT for the $400 the dealer wants, but for $69 each (Monroe OEM air shocks) I'd go for it, especially seeing the installed ones are 16 years old and have 168k on them and still damp pretty well (though there are good roads in Phoenix compared to elsewhere I've lived).

I've run Bilsteins and Konis on sports cars and sports sedans, and they were great, but did they REALLY make the Explorer handle and ride like a 4Runner? (I have a friend w/ a '97 4Runner that is incredibly nice to drive, and feels exceptionally tight (like a new vehicle), and the damping is perfect)

Frankly, I am pretty pleased at how nice the Explorer is on the road, especially given it's got 168k on the clock, though the PO was meticulous with no-expense-spared maintenance.

I've run Bilsteins and Konis on sports cars and sports sedans, and they were great, but did they REALLY make the Explorer handle and ride like a 4Runner? (I have a friend w/ a '97 4Runner that is incredibly nice to drive, and feels exceptionally tight (like a new vehicle), and the damping is perfect)

Don't know what a 4Runner is like but compared to my Touareg it's pretty good.
When you take into consideration the vehicle height and the tyre sidewall.

The Touareg is better though.

Hard to describe the 4Runner, except blind-folded I would "know" I was riding in an American vehicle in the Explorer (just the way it "feels" over poor roads), while the 4Runner feels taut and more controlled over bumps (like a European vehicle).

I am not "knocking" the Explorer, mind you. I've always chalked it up to design philosophy differences between markets. Not sure if it's due to spring/damping alone (which is why I asked if the Euro shocks made a large difference).

Frankly, I was amazed at how the '97 4Runner (170k miles) with "felt" composed and sounded (tight as a drum) over the same road (ruts/potholes/speed-bumps) I'd just driven my Explorer over. The Explorer had recent new ball joints and upper control arms (upper ball joints) and front shocks, so only the rear shocks were old, while the 4Runner was running on it's original suspension components, which was impressive.

Back