Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I might buy a 7 gallon air tank to put in the back of my Explorer for wheelin but it depends on your answers to these questions:

1. Would this 7 gallon (150psi???) air tank fill up all 4 of my 235/75/15 tires from 18-20psi to about 33 psi?
2. What is your best guess as to how long would it take for all 4?

I always have a 12v compressor with me but after seeing a 12v compressor in action at CCR2000, I am looking for a faster (and cheap) alternative.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5 gallon tank

I bought a 5 gallon tank a few years ago to try and use for inflating a ski tube on by boat. The tank was rated for 200 psi. It would not even come close to filling the ski tube. I would hazard to say that it would fill one tire, possibly 2 if they were not completely flat. I carry a mini compressor and tire plugs with me as standard equipment all the time (along with all the other rescue equipment I try to have on hand). It has saved my butt quite a few times and fits nicely under my back seat.
My suggestion is to save the space of the tank and either keep the mini compressor or maybe get a larger output one if it is too slow for you.

Mark

Finally, someone posted on this subject, thanks Mark. I would be using the tank for airing up after airing down for sand and such. Like I said before I am on a really cheap budget, I wish I could afford a Power Tank or an ARB compressor but that is too much $. The 7 gallon tank is $20 which costs about the same as it would to fix my smaller tank.

Any more opinions?

Brian,
I use a "Power One" CO2 10 pound tank. I can fill my tires up at least 20 times before I have to get it refilled. The cost of refilling the tank is around $15.00. Works great on air tools, but only last about 20 minutes with continuious use with a air wrench. It's not cheap, but will fill your tire up in about 20 seconds from 15psi to 35psi. If you want a very good compressor, then the Quick AirII is probably the best out on the market. It isn't cheap either, and still won't fill your tire as fast as my Power One tank will.

Air tank

Brian,

Check with a welding supply store for a small compressed
air bottle. They have some the size of a scuba tank or a plumber's 'B' tank. They can be charged up to ~2,000 psig
and will fill many tires.

Useage requires attaching a regulator (purchased separately)to reduce and adjust the pressure you are actually using.

Use caution if you procure one! High pressure bottles may be dangerous if mishandled or damaged. Can you say rocket?

Bob

Hey Brian,
Sorry I posted just before you posted and didn't see the criteria. Have you concidered retrofitting your A/C compressor to a aircompressor. That would give you lot faster fill up rate, but you won't have air conditioning any more. Just a thought.

Ray, I use it as my daily driver and you know what it can be like in Albuquerque in the summer so I would like to keep my a/c but it is a good suggestion. I have a tank lying around in my back yard (I love saying that "lying around in my back yard") but I don't know what type of tank it is. The tank is about 2.5 feet tall and is metal. So if I were to buy or find a regulator that fits, I would fill it up with CO2?

I am still tempted to get that 7 gallon but I will hold off until I can see if the tank I have would work.

Inexpensive air compressor that works!

Brian1,

In lieu of a 5 or 7 gal air tank which will likely only do two tires ...air up from air down, MAX. (I and several other folks I know have tried bringing a tank along and have had poor results). You might check out the "Truck Air" brand 12V air compressor. Should sell for under $40, and has the best output of the "cheapies". It's reccommended by the Silver Coyote as the best affordable alternative on the market to the Quick Air ($250+). Got my "Truck Air" at Super K.

Brian,
Before you go out looking for a regulator, take it to a welding supply shop and see if they will inspect it for you first. If the tank is good then you could use it for CO2 or nitrogen. The reason we use Co2 as opposed to compressed air, is the pressure in the tank. A normal scuba tank is pressurized to 2000 psi. I saw a picture along time ago of what a scuba tank did to a bronco when it exploded inside it. NOT A PRETTY PICTURE!!!
The Nitrogen or CO2 tanks are only in the low hundreds at the most. It compresses into a liquid much easier therefore easier to store safely. If the tanks good then all you need is a regulator, gauages and hose. Do look at the cost of getting all this stuff together and then see how much it is totaled up then compare how much it would cost to just go out and buy one. You might be supprised to find out that it's almost the same price. It will be cheaper for you since you already have a tank.

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-03-2000 at 08:49 PM]

I probably will be converting my A/C to an air compresor here someday soon. Since it does still sorta work but I get cooled off better by just rolling down the windows. Since I have a real daily driver now that has A/C that works. :) I think this is going to be my next mod. Since waiting for that danged ARB to fill up my tires sucks plus then I could use full out air tools! :) Whee!!!

A/C

rpenner54,
How does the A/C compressor work? It is better then the air compressor's? If it is, then why couldn't you just add another A/C compressor with a air tank??
After this last Red Cone run I did with Matt, I can see it would be nice to have air anytime you want.

With a tank of decent size you can run power tools off of it. Compared to an ARB compresor, there is no comparison. This beats the pants off of it. You could add a second a/c compresor to the truck no problem IF you can fab up the brackets and the pulley for it. Also if you do go that route you might as well get a York. They have oilers right in the compresor that is seperate from the compresor its self. What that means is with the stock A/C compresor if you use it like a compresor you need to add a few drops of oil to it every so many hours. When I get home tonight I have a page on how a guy with a Bronco II converted his over and I will post it on here.

Enough Volume?

The Compressor sounds like a great way to get air. But does it provide eonugh air volume to operate power tools, or do you need to intall a tank with the system also? I know my pops 15 gallon A/C compressor runs out when used constantly with his grinder and some other tools. Sounds like it would be the trick for filling tires though.
Mark

Mark, you would have to install an air tank to operate air tools plus it would give you access to more air quicker than without a tank.

I think the regulators for my tank would cost alot more than I want to pay but I will check. I think the tank I have is rated to 250psi.

Tanks alot

Hey if you do look at welder type or diving type (which is what i am looking at) tanks make sure you get them checked before buying them, when you go to have a diving tank filled they will want to know when it last passed inspection, if it doesn't they won't fill it. sometimes you get lucky and find a good dive tank for like $20-$50 and then have it checked, and filled. that's cool but it would suck to buy it and it not pass.

heads up dodgerr

Kyle,
Not only do scuba tanks have to be visually inspected, but hydro inspected, and stamped with the maximum pressure for that tank. I have one at home that I use for diving. I would never use it for 4wheeling, just too much pressure. You could however convert it over to a CO2 or Nitrogen.

Heres one for you!

I was talking with a buddy at work. He grew up on a farm in the sticks about 50 years ago. He sadi that when he was a kid they used to use a spark plug to fill the tires. They had a hollowed out spark plug with a hose clamped on the end, replace one of the spark plugs and start the engine. The cylinder compression would be enough to fill the tires.
I can see 2 draw backs on doing this:
1:The gas mixture filling the tire would give a new meaning to the term "blowout" if there was a spark around the tire when changing from the rim or during a heavy leak or puncture.:) 2:Using only 5 cylinders on the V6 could be rough on the engine and possibly hard to start.

BUT, talk about a light weight, compact unit to inflate your tires...
Mark

Took it back

Yeah I got one of those things, what a sucker I am sometimes. Who was to know that this huge and heavy cylinder would not even inflate one tire much less four. It went back the same day. But I'm with you, the little one I have that plugs into the lighter is for s**t.

I've heard of people welding caps on their tube bumpers and using them as air tanks.
Also, a high pressure cylinder can be used with a proper regulator. Just make sure is is TOTALLY protected from being scrunched or ruptured. Also, I would bet there are legal issues pertaining to high pressure tanks mounted in vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, my dad and I got a new Miller MIG welder and now we have to get a tank for it. So, when I am in the welding & tank supply, I will look into if my tank will work and find a regulator for it.

Wabbit, I would do what you said but I am keeping my stock bumpers. I have plans in the works to make one for a certain other 4x4 I have.

Back