Airbag Light After Bucket Seat Swap (SOLVED) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag Light After Bucket Seat Swap (SOLVED)

HercDriver

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Holly
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Limited
Yeah, I know. I should have checked if the seats came out of an X with airbag seatbelts or not. I just got excited because the price was right and they were practically mint...

Anyone had this issue and been able to remedy it? Either with a Forscan change or maybe pulling a pin from the electrical connector under the seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So do the buckets have the inflatable seat belts or was it the bench that had them?
I don't know if this thread is of any help. The video probably would have turned out better if the Explorer wasn't in the garage at the time.

Peter

So do the buckets have the inflatable seat belts or was it the bench that had them?
I don't know if this thread is of any help. The video probably would have turned out better if the Explorer wasn't in the garage at the time.

Peter
The vehicle the bucket seats came out of had airbag seatbelts. My vehicle does not.

I was able to fix it. I compared the connectors from the bucket seats and the bench seats and figured out what extra wires were in the bucket seat connectors. Looks like bottom-center 4 wires. I'd surmise that those wires deal with the airbag seatbelts. Pulled the ones from the vehicle-side connecter out and taped them off and wouldn't ya know it, no more airbag light!

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

The vehicle the bucket seats came out of had airbag seatbelts. My vehicle does not.

I was able to fix it. I compared the connectors from the bucket seats and the bench seats and figured out what extra wires were in the bucket seat connectors. Looks like bottom-center 4 wires. I'd surmise that those wires deal with the airbag seatbelts. Pulled the ones from the vehicle-side connecter out and taped them off and wouldn't ya know it, no more airbag light!

Hope this helps someone else down the road.
Do you still get the airbag icon display briefly up on the dash at start up to verify the system works?

Peter

Do you still get the airbag icon display briefly up on the dash at start up to verify the system works?

Peter
Yes, it pops up then disappears shortly after. Basically I just made it so when the vehicle sends out its test, the seats give no reply as they would have from the original bench seats.

Yeah, I know. I should have checked if the seats came out of an X with airbag seatbelts or not. I just got excited because the price was right and they were practically mint...

Anyone had this issue and been able to remedy it? Either with a Forscan change or maybe pulling a pin from the electrical connector under the seat?
I would really like to know how to remove that electrical connector under the passenger seat.

Also, could somebody help me locate the fuse for the air bargs fromt he inside and under the hood fuse boxes, please? What fuse number arre they?

Thank you.

All fuses and relays are shown in your Owner's Manual on page 323 of the 2nd printing.

Peter

True. Good pont.

True. Good pont.
Well, good news. Yesterday, I stopped at a store and when turned off the engine, an alarm sounded as if I left the keys plugged inthe switch when not. I checked lights, or anything and nothing that could make that alarm to sound. I close and locked the car anyway. Went to the store and after about 40 mins, when I came back to the car, the airbag light WENT OFF. DID NOT COME BACK!!!!! I shut off the car when back home without the airbag light on my dashboard. I started my car a couploe hours later and still OFF! GREAT! This morning I started the car again and STILL OFF!! AWESOME! So, I wonder if that "alarm" I heard withouth any obvious reason, was like a resetting of a setting that turned off the air baglight? I wanted to share this with you all, specially since I already set an appointment to diagnose that light, for close to $200.

Has any of you experienced this before and have the damn light back again? :(

Well, good news. Yesterday, I stopped at a store and when turned off the engine, an alarm sounded as if I left the keys plugged inthe switch when not. I checked lights, or anything and nothing that could make that alarm to sound. I close and locked the car anyway. Went to the store and after about 40 mins, when I came back to the car, the airbag light WENT OFF. DID NOT COME BACK!!!!! I shut off the car when back home without the airbag light on my dashboard. I started my car a couploe hours later and still OFF! GREAT! This morning I started the car again and STILL OFF!! AWESOME! So, I wonder if that "alarm" I heard withouth any obvious reason, was like a resetting of a setting that turned off the air baglight? I wanted to share this with you all, specially since I already set an appointment to diagnose that light, for close to $200.

Has any of you experienced this before and have the damn light back again? :(
Does the Airbag check light come on briefly in the dash display when you start the vehicle?

Peter

Does the Airbag check light come on briefly in the dash display when you start the vehicle?

Peter
Yes, as a few more of them, as the seat belt. ... Why? Don't scare me, LOL.

Yes, as a few more of them, as the seat belt. ... Why? Don't scare me, LOL.
That light and others briefly come on at start-up as a sort of system check. You should be good to go.

Back