Airbag Light Flashes. Don't Care About Airbag, Just Want Light OFF!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag Light Flashes. Don't Care About Airbag, Just Want Light OFF!!!!

Faster Life

Reaction score
City, State
MPLS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB SOHC 4.0
Hi,

I figure since I'll be doing other repairs this weekend, I might as well look at this too. I went camping, and it rained hard. I left the windows open, and think some water got in somewhere, and shorted a relay for the airbags. Now the airbag light constantly flashes. I don't care about the airbag, (If I have a choice, I actually prefer no airbag deployment in an accident.) Whats the best way to stop this airbag light, or to just kill the whole system? I pulled the fuse tied to it, but the fuse is also tied to other important car functions...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light will be on until you repair the SRS system unless you remove the bulb. Then you'll have to put up with the beeping that tells you the bulb is bad!

It's your face and your a** but SRS is an important safety device. Count the flashes and post back. It's probably not too serious of a problem.

No, its just annoying. I wear my seatbelt, and that's enough for me! If the seatbelt works (which it will), then the airbag really doesn't do very much.

Is there a code in the amount of flashes? It flashes 4 times then is off for about 4 seconds. It does that cycle a few times, then just stays on. If an exact number of flashes means something I'll get that number...

mines been doing the same thing for months very interested if you figure out how to turn off the light

No, its just annoying. I wear my seatbelt, and that's enough for me! If the seatbelt works (which it will), then the airbag really doesn't do very much.

Is there a code in the amount of flashes? It flashes 4 times then is off for about 4 seconds. It does that cycle a few times, then just stays on. If an exact number of flashes means something I'll get that number...

Have a wife, girlfriend, any friends? You have to consider more than just your own safety/preferences. And you're sadly mistaken that the air bag doesn't do much.

When you turn the switch on it will blink once, then a series of 2 digit blinks several times before it stays on solid.

Example:

* **** ** **** ** **** ** **** ** **** ** ********************************************************************************************.............. 42

Well whatever. I'm not hear to argue about it, just figure out whats wrong with it. If they buckle their seatbelt that's all I care. Maybe when I pull the code I'll have an idea about repair costs, but if it's steep I'd rather just disable it. I'm going to post a video of the light flashing, cause it seems that describing it might be confusing...

my 2 cents... my auto insurance wont cover personal injury if there was a accident bad enough to make the bags deploy. if the bags dont deploy and someone get hurts they make the owner pay for any medical bills.. just my input

That is also ridiculous by the way. Gotta love insurance companies finding ways to back out of paying for what they're in business for...

Well whatever. I'm not hear to argue about it, just figure out whats wrong with it. If they buckle their seatbelt that's all I care. Maybe when I pull the code I'll have an idea about repair costs, but if it's steep I'd rather just disable it. I'm going to post a video of the light flashing, cause it seems that describing it might be confusing...

Not sure what you were "drinking" when you were looking at the flashes but they are pretty specific (there was no 4 anything).... any ways... 37... if you do a search you will likely find what it is complaining about. Odds are its the standard resistor pack connector issue under the seat.

Thanks guys. Lets see what happens...

Well, that was about the easiest fix I've ever encountered. I couldn't get good access to pop the clip out, so I just gave them a firm push. Started the truck and no airbag light! Now my wife/girlfriend/friends/insurance company/forum members will be pleased with me again! (only kidding) Thanks guys, that was easy.

Isn't it nice when repairs are easy? Don't worry- the Explorer gods are watching and will issue payback for that one soon... :D

lol!!! Of course they will demand payment in due time. Nothing comes that easy, right?

Uh Oh! Now the stupid light is back on again! I didn't satisfy it! Maybe I'm going to have to dig in there and really work on getting a good connection... (stupid SOB)

Mine used to flash 3 7 occasionally. I just took contact cleaner and cleaned the terminals under the passenger seat.

The Airbag light blinks 3 times, 10 different times on my 03 Ford Explorer and then stays lit.

I checked both yellow plugs, and reconnected them. When I do this, with the vehicle off, and start the vehicle back up, the light wont come on. But, as soon as I turn the vehicle off, and back on, the Airbag light comes back on and starts blinking before staying lit.

But everyone I turn the car off, and disconnect, and reconnect the yellow harnesses under the seats, and turn the car back on- the light doesnt come on. But again, once I turn the vehicle off, and back on - it starts again.

How can I fix this? Please help? Or any suggestions on how to JUST get that light off...I dont care about fixing it...unless its cheap and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a "simple search" of air bag codes indicates that its likely a ground failure on the diagnostic module.

Back