airbag malfunction in accident... | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

airbag malfunction in accident...

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
my mom just called me from the hospital and said my sister was in an accident this morning. luckily she drives a 96 xlt explorer and the guy she hit was in a little cadillac (his car was totalled, hers wasnt...we dont think.) she ok, and everything, but theyre just running the usual tests to make sure at the hospital. anyway, my mom said my sisters face hit the steering wheel, and the airbag didnt go off. she said when she hit the guy, he foot was on the gas (and knowing how my sister drives, she prolly hit him pretty good.) now, my dad called the insurance company, and the guy said that unless theres serious face injuries, dont bother pursuing it; well, she didnt break any bones and shes not bleeding, but her face is all swollen and shes complaining of pain in her head. my dads gonna call ford tomorrow (the guy who sells us all our fords is a cousin, so my dads calling him.)

personally, i think the insurance guy can kiss my ass. that airbag malfunctioned as far as im concerned. i dont know much about them, but when you hit something (cruising at a decent clip) it should go off. can anyone shed some light on this?...or offer some opinions?

on a lighter note, i thought it was pretty damn funny, that when the hospital needed ID from my sister, my step mom gave the nurse my sisters fake ID by accident, heh (my step mom's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok89

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
College Station, TX (school) / Houston, TX (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Wrangler X
sorry to hear about that. Hope she gets better. I know that when I went into a ditch at 40mph my airbag didnt deploy.

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
really? i mean, she hit the guy head on (the front of her truck into the back of his car.) oh, and she was wearing her seat belt, too.

ok89

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Wrangler X
good luck with your dealings with FoMoCo and the insurance company

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Sorry to hear about your sis :( . Just curious, how did she hit the steering wheel if her seatbelt was on?? Didn't it lock or did the wheel come back to her?

BTW, there is a recall on the 96 Explorer for airbags. Check this out: Dead Link Removed

I have no idea if this is connected to her airbag not deploying ,but it would be worth looking at.

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
jeff, yeah, she was wearing her seat belt, but she keeps her seat really close to the wheel because shes so little (she probably about 5'2", 110 lbs, shes only 19), maybe it didne lock or something like that, i dont know all the intricate details because im at school and the accident happened at home; im sure ill find out by tonight though, and thanks for the recall link, im gonna email it to my dad and have him check it out.

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
when we had our expedition my mom hit a Civic hatchback at about 30-35 mph and it was so low that the air bag didnt go off. i was in the car and we hit so hard that my drink flew out of the cupholder. hope this sheds some light, cause if it hit low enough it might have not got to the crash sensor.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
TarHeel's right. It's possible to have a front end collision without setting off the airbag. I know on my '01, the sensors are placed behind the bumper, so if I whack someone, but I don't smash the bumper in, the airbags wouldn't deploy. Although, I would think that if she whacked a Caddy, it would have pushed the bumper back pretty good.

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
yeah, well, my mom gave me the impression that my sisters truck was messed up pretty badly, so im assuming that the sensors should have been activated. i mean, if the front of the truck gets smashed in good, the sensors should detect it, right?

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
FYI, a co-worker of mine in her mercury cougar swerved to avoid hitting a deer, and hit a light pole head-on at an estimated 65-70 miles an hour, then rolled the car three times. The airbags never went off, but suprisingly she walked away with nothing but a scratched up arm and a soar wrist.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
There are a lot of factors that go into whether or not the airbags deploy. From what it sounds like though they probably should have gone off. I was in a similar accident one time in a Lincoln Continental where the bag never went off, it was actually jammed. I drove the car for a week afterwards before I put it in the shop (really stupid seeing the hood was jacked up a foot on the passenger's side, but I was really busy). When they went to pry the hood off the car at the shop, the airbags unstuck and deployed, driver and passenger. I was very lucky they didnt deploy when I hit a pothole or something.

Definately have a shop examine the airbag system before the vehicle is worked on, unfortunately I didnt do that (it was my first car with airbags so I didnt think anything of it really) and by the time they deployed the front end had been partially dissasembled so they couldnt prove anything. Ford paid for the new windshield and the airbag reset though, just to be nice I'm sure.

Glad your sister's okay.

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
sorry to hear about your sisters accident. i hope everything's ok.

Originally posted by JDraper
Sorry to hear about your sis :( . Just curious, how did she hit the steering wheel if her seatbelt was on?? Didn't it lock or did the wheel come back to her?

i've always worn my seatbelt, and i always hit the windshield whenever i was in a bad accident. i was only in 3 major accidents. but i smashed the windshield with my head each time.

Jim F

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Then there are the horror stories of people buying used cars that had been in minor accidents that had deployed the airbags. The sellers (sometime dealers) buy replacement covers for the airbags but they do not replace the airbag itself (too expense). Then the unsuspecting buyer gets in an accident and gee no airbag deployed. Later they find out there was no airbag to deploy. Just a thought when buying a used vehicle with airbags.

ChuckyD

Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
Originally posted by leenjen

i was only in 3 major accidents. but i smashed the windshield with my head each time.

That explains Everything!... LOL JK :D

Tbomb.. sorry about your sis ... hope everything works out...

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
well, shes ok, just a lil bruised. my dads not too concerned with the airbags not going off because theres not much he can do anyway, since she wasnt terribly injured because of it. right now, my dads just waiting for the lawsuit to come from the guy she rear ended, and hes checking out his insurance situation; between me and my heavy foot and my sister who hits anything and everything in her way, hes a lil irritated ;)

ok89

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Wrangler X
sometimes they also put airbags from different cars in. I know what you mean about your dad being irritated. My dad is too whenever me or my bro gets a ticket or a wreck. Probably because one more ticket or wreck for either of us and we move up to high risk:bounce:

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
My airbags went off when I hit a telephone pole at about 25. The pole hit exactly dead center in the front, just for info...