• Register Today It's free!

Airnag warning lite

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
Got hit with a major cold snap this am about -25F air temp this am. She started up no problems .. but for some reason now the yellow air bag yellow warning light stays on, no flashing or blinking light, just stayed on. Is this common in extreme cold temps ? I checked under the seat the wiring harness looked ok nothing under seats that would trigger light Is there a trick to reset the warning light if it doesn't shut off ?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did this ONCE. I drove it to work with the light on, figuring I'd pull the code after work. Restarted it at lunch, light on for the six second self check, then went out.

Still unsure what caused it, only thing I can guess is lower than normal battery voltage while cranking took the module offline.

Tim

ok that make sense about the battery voltage didn't think of that. it crank really slow but started so could have been that. Will be out later today to pickup my daughter at work will see if it goes out now.

Thanks,

There is a stored code if you have a obd2 scanner that will do airbag codes then you can get it. The airbag light will come on if your battery is going bad due to the low voltage while cranking. If your battery is around 5 years or older its time to replace it even if the car started. If the battery is newer then have the battery tested at your local autoparts store. To remove the light and the code you need a scanner. I had the same problem car would start fine but the airbag light came on (its was in the negitives outside) i pulled the code and it was for the passenger seat sensor. I went away for the holidays and came back and the battery was dead replaced the battery and eased the code and have had no problems since.

There is a stored code if you have a obd2 scanner that will do airbag codes then you can get it. The airbag light will come on if your battery is going bad due to the low voltage while cranking. If your battery is around 5 years or older its time to replace it even if the car started. If the battery is newer then have the battery tested at your local autoparts store. To remove the light and the code you need a scanner. I had the same problem car would start fine but the airbag light came on (its was in the negitives outside) i pulled the code and it was for the passenger seat sensor. I went away for the holidays and came back and the battery was dead replaced the battery and eased the code and have had no problems since.

the battery is only a few months old Napa 850 CCA battery this morning is the only time it actually crank really slow. The last few days we've been averaging -15F below in the morning. Haven't had any problems till this morning the coldest I can remember in a very long time.

started it up this afternoon and the airbag light went out like it suppose too after startup now. Guess it was the extreme cold this am. thanks for the help

At that CCA rating it should have turned over much better and not dropped that low to cause problems. Battery maybe faulty and checking it while under warranty may be a smart move.

Back