Solved - Ak Fisherman 4x4 issues (**Solved**) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Ak Fisherman 4x4 issues (**Solved**)

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

bamjzm

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for whatever help comes. :) 1991 Explorer with 4-wheel drive issues: The hubs seem to lock in and the shift motor seems to lock the transfer case in both low and high range, but there is no power gettingto the front wheels. What could be the issue between the two?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for a disconnected hose around ur engine. i had an 89 s10 that u could hear lock in and feel it lock in but the tires wouldnt spin bc of a damn hose. sounds dumb but that could be ur problem. mine was a hose about 18 inches long and about 3/8 in thick. on mine we just tied it off. it was just a beater mud truck so it just needed to work in the mud lol.

ummm you have Auto lock outs(hubs) or Manual lockouts ?

since this is where the issue is gonna be at here .

97xxxploder You are thinking about GM's vacuum disconnect system which doesn't apply to his 1st generation Explorer.

bamjzm Did you read through the 4x4 Troubleshooting Guide yet? It has lots of info on helping diagnose where your issue lies.

In summation if BOTH the 4x4 button and dash light come on it indicates the Transfer case is in 4x4 and sending power to the front differential. If this is the case then as cybergasm mentioned your issue lies in one of your HUBS. Auto Hubs are notorious for breaking down and failing to Lock. Unless you have a locking front differential a single broken HUB will render 4x4 useless (all the power will be transmitted to the axle with the least resistance, basically free spinning within the broken hub while the Locked hub gets Zero power). Post back when you've had a chance to troubleshoot.

a solution to the problem

i have after-market Mile Marker manual lock-out hubs. it turns out that one of the hubs was not adjusted correctly. a tech at the company instructed me to loosen the screw holding the lockout "handle" and that allowed the hub to fully engage and lock into place. it seems as if the problem is solved ... kind of simple in retrospect.

thank you for the helpful repliies via the post. i appreciate ti.:

akfisherman

i have after-market Mile Marker manual lock-out hubs. it turns out that one of the hubs was not adjusted correctly. a tech at the company instructed me to loosen the screw holding the lockout "handle" and that allowed the hub to fully engage and lock into place. it seems as if the problem is solved ... kind of simple in retrospect.

thank you for the helpful repliies via the post. i appreciate ti.:

akfisherman

Kudos on finding the problem and getting your 4x4 back in operation! :thumbsup:

Back