Al4d Leaking | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Al4d Leaking

Alanslinky

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
ex- 94 Eddie Bauer
I've got tranny fluid from between the engine and transmition. I was going to drop the transmition next week and change the front seal and the rear main seal. Is there anything else I should look out for while I'm down there?

It's a 94 exploder with 180,000 miles on it. The tranny was last rebuilt around 120,000 miles. Any help would be awesome. THanks

Edit: forgot to mention if i only drive the truck a few miles it's only a small spot not more then 2 inches across, but if i go for long drives, or up a lot of hill it's coming out pretty quick to the point where i can watch it drop

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Do not drive the truck or even let it run...If you did not drive it when this first happened, you may be lucky like I was...If you continue driving it with it leaking and spilling tranny fluid, it's going to cook...:(

...Don't want to sound harsh but the tranny rebuild cost for something relatively minor is not worth the chance...

..This might answer some of your questions..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188013&highlight=tranny

Alanslinky

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
ex- 94 Eddie Bauer
I just did the headgaskets recently, so maybe when they went that caused this. I've been keeping the tranny full and checking it every couple of days. It's only a 2.5 mile drive to work, so i barely even warm up the truck, and don't drive it much on my days off, but recently i needed it to drive about 30 miles and found that it leaked more when it got warmed up all the way. I want to try and avoid having to do a complete rebuild, so i was going to pull it apart later this week before it got out of control.