• Register Today It's free!

Alarm goes off constantly

Jay1215

Reaction score
City, State
Vineland, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone, I'm Jay. My alarm to my 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition keeps going off, for no reason at all. I want to be able to fix this myself because from what I hear, it's not expensive. Has anyone had to deal with this? How did you fix it? Was it very difficult?

Jay, search this forum. There are lots of posts on this problem. Short answer, yes it's an easy fix, if you can find the offending door switch or broken wire. Start with all the windows down and the car locked. Open each door to see if they all set off the alarm. If they do try the tail gate glass and tail gate to see if they do as well. Check the boot between the body and the driver's door for a broken wire. It's not the easiest to get at but if you're careful you can do it. Once you get the boot pulled out of the door see if you see a black wire. Pull on it with a pair of thin needle nose pliers or other hooked instrument. If it's broken you need to repair it. Youtube will show you how.

Here's the kicker. It might be that wire and an intermittent door switch failure. I worked on mine for 2 or 3 weeks and finally gave up and took it to the stealer. $400 later they found a door switch that would fail every so often but not all the time. They had it on the computer for 3 hours trying to make it fail and it finally did. I let them fix it because I was tired of it.

Before you ask. There is no (easy) way to defeat the system. You need the PATS for the dang thing to run. Search for PATS failure by year and make. If you find a bad door switch make sure you get the correct one ordered as I think they are door specific. Ask the parts guy at a Ford dealer. It's going to be close to $100 unless you can find the correct one on ebay or similar.

Good luck.

Mine does this if I leave a window or door open when I lock (it'll constantly beep like 3 times) I think it may be an after market thing though on mine because I've never seen another truck do it.

Back