Alarm LED? Surprised there is none | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alarm LED? Surprised there is none

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
Anyone else surprised there is no LED that blinks or shows the alarm status on the Explorer? I guess I got used to that in BMW SUVs and cars where you'd set the alarm and the LED under the mirror would blink slowly as a deterrent to would be breaker-inners.

I see lots of cars in parking lots with this, guess it would be hard to add in, but I do miss it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a blinking dash light?

Anyone else surprised there is no LED that blinks or shows the alarm status on the Explorer? I guess I got used to that in BMW SUVs and cars where you'd set the alarm and the LED under the mirror would blink slowly as a deterrent to would be breaker-inners.

I see lots of cars in parking lots with this, guess it would be hard to add in, but I do miss it.
Initially I never noticed that there was no indicator until someone mentioned it on this forum. In a way there really shouldn't be a need for one. I had a blinking light in my previous '09 Highlander Limited and I read that 3 similar Highlanders were stolen in the same night from the same area around Toronto. A lot of good the blinking light did!:rolleyes:

Hmm... that IS odd, I hadn't noticed that yet. My '05 Ex that I just traded in on the new one had a blinking dash light.. I'm really surprised there's not one on the '12.
I suppose I could always get one of those "fake alarm" flashing LED lights and stick it on the dashboard... heh

What's the point of the flashing LED light? It's not going to zap the thief trying to get into your car. If the thief wants to break in, they will.

1995E said:
What's the point of the flashing LED light? It's not going to zap the thief trying to get into your car. If the thief wants to break in, they will.

For me, it was a visual confirmation that I locked the vehicle. I know the alarm 'chirps' on 2nd lock press but I got used to seeing the LED on when I'd glance back. When I would walk back up to the BMW I could see the LED blinking slowly and know the alarm had not been activated....if it HAD, it would blink very quickly. A small thing...just wondered.

Just another light?

Back