Alarm Problems........please Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alarm Problems........please Help!

KINNEY201

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT V8
My father recently purchased a 1999 Ford Explorer. It did not come with a FOB transmitter, just the security type key. He wants his alarm and keyless entry to work, however, we're not sure if it has an alarm from the factory or not. We've tried turning the key from off to on 8 times like the manual said to see if it would go into program mode, but nothing. There is a theft light that flashes on the gauge panel, but we can't seem to get the alarm to sound. How do we know if it has an alarm, and if we just need to buy a transmitter for it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The THEFT light on the dash is the PATS system, which I believe every Explorer has. It's just a starter lockout that prevents someone from starting it without the specially programmed keys.

IDK if the Explorers come with an alarm, I don't believe so. But some do come with a keyless entry, you way want to check and see if it has a RAP module.

Open a window. Press door lock and close the door. I'm not sure if there is a delay before the alarm sets so wait a minute or two. Then manually unlock the door by pulling the lock knob up through the open window. Open the door and see if it alarms. To turn off alarm, start the vehicle.

How do we know if it has an alarm

I set my alarm off accidentally once. I had checked the fluids under the hood and when I closed the hood I didn't get it completely closed. I locked the doors using the button on the inside of the door. When I noticed the hood wasn't fully closed I popped the hood to close it and the alarm went off. You might try that.

Back