Alarm took control of my car!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alarm took control of my car!!!!

DSC_0503.jpg

this is all I have available, I can take more pics if needed.

I found where the alarm was tapped into the starting circuit. the blue/red wire that runs from the ignition to the power distribution box(?) under the hood was cut and the alarm was spliced into it.

correction: I had two alarms!!

alarm 1: Loctronics- it was wired up to the aforementioned blue/red wire and simply had a "key" that could be unplugged and kept on your person to insure the car cannot be started. I think. I'm just guessing thats what it did.

alarm 2: "Car-pro" - looked like a typical alarm; it was hooked up to the door locks, a "shock sensor", and a horn-like speaker. this was also tapped into the big yellow wires running under the steering column. this particular system was a piece of crap! when I unlocked my doors using the remote, it would cycle the locks two or three times as opposed to just one click. it also didn't respond correctly to "shocks" or bumps, and would only go off if I opened the door without disarming the alarm. :frustrate

I'm not sure what I'm looking for to troubleshoot. thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am so confused!!!!

I checked my power distribution box under the hood to see which relays were clickin over, and according to my owners manual, it is relay #6: transfer case relay.

I dont have a transfer case.

the #5 spot is supposed to be the starter relay. and #7 is NOT USED. I have relays in both of those spots and they do not click when I try to start it.

OH!!! good news, I took my starter/solenoid combo to Stewarts and had it tested. it passed!! so thats not the problem.
I'm willing to replace all three of the aforementioned relays cuz they're cheap. but I dont know why the correct one isn't clicking.

Have you tried a different key? The PATS transponder chip in the key may be bad

great news!!! I got it running!

It turns out that it was the relay that my manual labeled as "transfer case relay". oddly enough, I replaced it and it fired right up, no hesitation.

Thank you ALL so much for the diagnostic help! All I needed was to wrap my brain around exactly how the starter system was put together in order to isolate the problem. I'm glad I have so many other brains available for picking!

unfortunately my power steering pump is shot and shakes the wheel violently if I turn. guess its only forward from here on out!

....That is great news..:biggthump

...:scratch:..If you have turned the wheels while your motor was turned off, it will give you the steering symptoms you describe...It sounds like you have trapped air in the system...You will find some information here on how to remove the air from the system...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240227

good info! I think its leaking out of one of the hoses, the connection feels a little loose. Should I tighten it up, or replace the whole hose?

also, the fluid is thick and milky and needs to go. would it make sense to replace the hose and the fluid, or should I just get a new pump?

like he said if you turned the wheel while it being off it will get air in the lines and look like a strawberry milkshake in the reservoir.... take it in a parking lot and make tight, lock to lock menuevers... or turning in a circle almost to lock then the other way- until it stops....

...You could take and tighten the hose up snug....Then take a turkey baster and suck the old fluid out if it is thick...Replace with new fluid and then do the almost, lock to almost lock...

...That thread includes info on milky conditions...;)

Back