Alboy79's 1 ton '98 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alboy79's 1 ton '98 Sport

What we have here is a 98 Explorer Sport, 4.0l, automatic, 4x4. What we are doing is a fully built narrowed(5") Dana 60, trussed, 5.38 gears, chromo custom inner shafts, spicers 35 spine outer, drive flanges, and a cab&chassis 14 bolt in the rear. Both with ruffstuff diff covers and lockers. We are going to use Fox 16" air shocks with extended and 1.25 heimed radius arms, full hydro steering, and undecided on wheels and tires as of now.

here it is in the shop
IMG_20110802_185539.jpg

Started out by pulling the old 8.8 out

IMG_20110803_192448.jpg

IMG_20110803_192424.jpg

The the 14 bolt swap started. We are using the ruffstuff weld on pirches to push the axle back 3". these...
normal_bikini20car20wash20045.jpg

A buddy of mine had to modify them quite a bit to fit the 14 bolt tube and on the leafs, more on that later
IMG_20110812_120935.jpg

First we needed to decide on what we were going to use for the rear leafs because the stock sport leaf is a mono leaf. We first chose to use chevy 63's to get a stretch on it of about 6" by keeping the front hanger in the same spot. Giving us a total rear stretch of 9"

IMG_20110804_200956.jpg

IMG_20110804_201027.jpg

Ummm, no, that isn't going to work. The 63's gave it too much lift even without shackles on them and the stretch just looked retarded. So we decided to use the stock mono leaf, then add a ranger leaf pack to it. We am using a ruffstuff 6" shackle and it has a 3" stretch from the pirch. Just right

IMG_20110812_200951.jpg

IMG_20110812_201116.jpg

It got a small comp cut going on now too. Total anticipated wheelbase is 109" +/-

Now brings up the issues with the spring pirches. They are made to fit around a 2.5" spring like a stock ranger leaf, but the mono leaf is 3" wide so my buddy had to slot the holes and make it work. Ended up dicking around with these thing for a few days before he got them right. All in all, next time around, I will just use standard pirches and find my stretch somewhere else.

So on to the front, had to yank all the suspension crap out, couple hours later we had a big pile of junk....

IMG_20110813_164308.jpg

IMG_20110813_164414.jpg

Then about 4 hours more of cutting with a cut off wheel, sawsall and hammering weve go this

012-16.jpg

011-20.jpg

What is next: plate the frame, bend up some shock hoops, make some shock tabs, figure out how the mounting of the radius arms or if we got room to do a three link, and then a track bar.

More to come soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As of today, the shock hoops are bent, the engine bay is cleared of all unnecessary bs, the rest of the fender flares are off, the front axles under it getting lined up, and bumper material and slider material have been acquired.

I also traded the 8.8 rear axle(that had 4.10s) to a jeep guy for a fairly new winch.

Slowly but surely its coming together.

Subscribing! WoW those stock bumpers had seen better days!

I have the ability to run a three link instead of the radius arms, if I run the upper link on the passenger side. Anyone see a reason that can't be done? I'm new to link arms, everything over had has been radius armed.

Got some work done today. Started out by tearing all the parts out in the engine bay that would be in the way of the shock hoops.
IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Then bent some shock hoops

IMAG0010.jpg

After that cut some plates out to reinforce the frame where we are going to mount the hoops. Then drill a couple holes in them to get a couple good weld in the centers too

IMAG0009.jpg

Next to hold the axle in position, we decided to try a 3 link instead of radius arms,(axle was set up for it already) so we made a set of temperary arms out of pvc. Then tacked a link arm mount to the frame, more work to be done there. The lowers are gonna be 36" long. The upper is gonna be best fit. Looking for ideas here. Not sure if I wanna put the third link on the driver or passnger side. Exhaust or drive shaft clearance issues...

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

Next we started fitting the hoops. Ended up we could not fit the hoop like we wanted, ended up going to the top of the frame on the rear and the side of the frame on the front. will add a gusset to the rear one somehow. The master cylinder was a pain to fit around, it is all close but should be alright. Then got the shock tabs tacked on too

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

Passenger side next, it had its own issues. The ac box is huge and need to be cleared

IMAG0013.jpg

After a few min with a cutting wheel...

IMAG0014.jpg

Plenty of room now.

Passenger side done for now
IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

Both sides

IMAG0017.jpg

Still have the hoop brace to make, track bar, third link, lower shock mounts and a bunch of other stuff. Hope to be ready to have.to rolling in a week or 2.

I think i can make the 3 link work but I am gonna pull the plug. I don't have all the parts I need to do it and I already have radius arms so f it. Radius arms work great so I am fine with that.

Now I am just waiting on parts, just a couple heims joints and trackbar stuff.

Hope to make some progress on it this weekend.

Stripped the front 60 for the new wedges, then welded the tubes to the housing and welded in the plug welds
IMAG0028.jpg

Then put the axle under the truck, mounted the wedges and the arms on, unwelded, positioned everything where I wanted it, then tacked the wedges in place.

IMAG0030.jpg

I also made a tie rod

IMAG0032.jpg

Then I decided that in order for me to use these arms on this frame I either had to shorten them to put them under the frame or bend them, I bent them.

IMAG0033.jpg

I need them under the frame for a few reasons, like no room for a crossmember, so I can tuck them up higher, and because it make my life easier haha.

I also made the lower shock mounting plates and spacers for the radius arm caps.

IMAG0034.jpg

Now I am really waiting for the heims and track bar stuff. Once I get that and put it in, I will pretty much have welded the wedges on for good

IMAG0035.jpg

Then put it back under the explorer and bolted the arms on with the shock mount pads.

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

Cut up the track bar brackets to fit the frame and made a track bar, then tacked em all on, might move it all a litte yet
IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

Then put the jonny joints in and centered and squared the axle and mounted the frame side hangers, just tacked for now.

IMAG0046.jpg

Almost a roller....

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

Gonna charge the shocks tomorrow and flex it out, do some gusseting and lots of welding....hope to have it sitting on its own weight.

subscribed to this project. looks like you are on the right track. got some good hook ups, first 1 ton X i have ever seen. looks good, keep up the good work.

subscribed to this project. looks like you are on the right track. got some good hook ups, first 1 ton X i have ever seen. looks good, keep up the good work.

thanks. I see you live in Cape Coral.... My sister in law lives down there.

yeah its not too bad down here except code enforcement wont let you work on ur truck in the driveway lol

Look Ma no jackstands....

imagejpeg953_2.jpg

To do:

Driveshafts, steering, finish weld. Then onto bumpers and sliders.

Couple more pictures.

Rolled it outside
IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

The hoop gussets and track bar mount
IMAG0070.jpg

The shock hoop connecting bar. Still need to cut it out and add some flanges so it Is removable.
IMAG0073.jpg

And the frame side radius arm mount, plated the frame side, might add a connecting brace between the 2 for extra support
IMAG0072.jpg

What is left to do is drive shafts, steering, brakes, bumpers, sliders, and a few other odds and ends. this one Is gonna get put on hold for a little while. We still need to get some tires and decide what we are doing for steering, still debating on going full hydro.

my only question that i have been curious about... why is the ack axle look like its not even with the rear fenderwells? was that intentional or just an error in fab work.

my only question that i have been curious about... why is the ack axle look like its not even with the rear fenderwells? was that intentional or just an error in fab work.

Front to back? Its stretched 3" in the back and in the front. Total wheelbase is 108". Fenders will be trimmed when tires get mounted.

ok, so it was intentional. thanks for that lol. looks unique.

ok, so it was intentional. thanks for that lol. looks unique.

Ya definitely intentional. Wanted more wheelbase with the 40" tires. Was Shooting for 110" ish. Happy with 108". I got another inch I can get from the front yet if I want it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is so cool! Any updates? I want more!

Back