Alec Rosenbaum '96 Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alec Rosenbaum '96 Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide

Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide

Well, the nitrous oxide (N2O) install is finished. I'll attempt to produce a reasonable writeup for the install.

I started with ZEX nitrous oxide kit #82011. Dead Link Removed
This kit includes the bottle, all lines and hoses, the controller box, injection nozzle, and arming switch.

I mounted the bottle in the rear cargo compartment in place of the net pocket: Dead Link Removed

Here's the bottle covered: Dead Link Removed I currently also have a gray laundry bag wrapping the entire bottle and mounts.

The bottle is mounted to the floor between the interior panel and the outer body with a custom 1/4" steel bracket. The bracket is bolted through the floor (soon to another plate underneath) with grade 8 hardware. Thus the bottle is well shielded from side and rear impacts. You can see that a blue blowoff tube is run under the truck to the rear bumper, and the N2O line is run along the frame to the engine bay. Dead Link Removed

Here you can see the mounting of the controller box: Dead Link Removed

The box is mounted to an 1/8" aluminum plate custom made to fit that location. You can see the line coming into the rear from the bottle, and out the front to the nozzle. The capped vacuum fittings are supposed to go to the fuel system in a "normal" application for fuel enrichment during a spray. However, I tuned the fuel enrichment through my secondary BBK fuel management unit already installed with my supercharger.

Here is the nitrous nozzle in the intake tube, about 7" from the throttle body: Dead Link Removed

The kit came with a tap to drill and tap the metal line (and also hardware for plastic lines). This made it very easy.

Part of this wiring mess is the tap to the throttle position sensor Dead Link Removed

This allows the unit to sense wide open throttle and activate the spray. The TPS tap is wired through a momentary pushbutton switch by my steering wheel. This way I can go to WOT and only spray when I want to.

Here are the arming switch (powers the whole system) and the momentary: Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

That's about it. I'm running a little over a 65hp shot, which feels really good but not too much. The fuel system keeps up very well, and I don't have a problem with traction or anything else. Basically when I hit it it the engine revs up much faster and it feels like you're instantly getting pushed by a vehicle going slightly faster. I don't have any track times yet, but hopefully will soon.

I'm also looking into a remote bottle opener so I can open and close the bottle on the fly. More pics when I install that.

Thanks for reading!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice setup! nitrous is a beautiful thing, it really is. how much does it cost you to get that bottle filled up? it's around $4/lb here at best.. which sucks.

So what does that beast run in the 1/4 do ya think? Want to race a little automatic ford probe? :D

It's $3.50 a lb here, so with tax I think it's $38.50 per bottle. You also have to leave the bottle with them for a few hours so they can chill it before filling it.

Before the juice I ran about 15.4 in the 1/4. Now, dunno, 14.5? I'd run .3-.4 faster without the roofrack, subs, etc......

according to bbk, i run a happy 18.2 1/4 mile :D

ah, that sucks about having to leave the bottle with them. It makes the filling process much much easier on their equipment, and helps ensure that you don't get as much air in as it fills though. Most places don't require that, but they usually wont fill the bottle up if its warm or hot. I usually put mine in the freezer overnight before i bring it down the next day to get filled. Not a bad price though, $38.

Have fun with that setup! :) Don't listen to anyone that says that 'nitrous is stupid' or 'nitrous is dangerous' or my favorite 'bottles are for babies'. Your truck obviously has a little more done to it than just slapping on a bottle anyway ;) If bottles are for babies, they're for babies that win alot of races! Keep an eye on your fuel pressure, air/fuel, check your plugs after every bottle, make sure they're gapped properly (running a cooler range plug?) and you'll be another satisfied customer.

looks great Alec, should be lots of fun, DAMN thats a big intake pipe!

Nice setup. If you one day will want sell your truck ...you need write your own Owner's Manual/Guide "How use included buttons and switches to make this car fly " ;)

Originally posted by Alec
Before the juice I ran about 15.4 in the 1/4. Now, dunno, 14.5? I'd run .3-.4 faster without the roofrack, subs, etc......

and the bigger tires slow it down a little bit.

My 100HP kit was good for 1 sec and 10mph at the flick of the switch :D

Originally posted by Rick
My 100HP kit was good for 1 sec and 10mph at the flick of the switch :D

on the pumpkin? ;)

N2O

Do they give you the nitris with the sulfur in it or without?

Automotive grade N2O usually has 60-100 ppm sulfur dioxide. Yes, it's poisonous.

Back