Alignment before or after new tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alignment before or after new tires?

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I have just completed a front end restoration project and now need to get an alignment. I have returned the tie rods, camber bushings to their relative "old" positions to get "In the ball park" (it does appear close after taking it for a drive). I am planning on buying new tires in the immediate future. My alignment questions are:

1) Should I wait and drive around for a few days until the suspension settles before getting an alignment?

2) Does it matter if I get it aligned with the old tires, or should I get the new tires first and then get it aligned?

Here is the list of parts I have installed:
  • Ball joints: Upper (2), Lower (2)
  • U-Joints: Front axle (3), Front diff (1)
  • Bearings: Spindle (2), Wheel (4)
  • Brakes: Rotors (2), Pads, hoses (2)
  • Steering: Outer tie rods (2)
  • Bushings: Radius Arm, Axle pivot, Sway bar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd do it right after or at the same time as the new tires.

Originally posted by Alec
I'd do it right after or at the same time as the new tires.
:D

Would have to be done right after the tires are mounted. Would be hard to align the wheels when a guy is trying to mount tires at the same time.;)

As long as the old tires aren't trashed (ie. cupped bad, worn down to chords, et...) it is ok to aling it with the old tires. If they are trashed replace them first. As long as you didn't replace the coils you shouldn't need to worry about driving around to settle the suspenion.

I just learned recently that tires does not affect the allignment numbers but if your allignment is off, taller tires will make it more visible (obvious look of mis-allignment) than running smaller tires. I also found that 2" of drop is about as low as I could go to get 0 camber with eccentric camber kit installed. Right now I have -1.3 negative camber on my truck with 29.7 tall tires. The negative camber is very visible and the inside of the front tires are all but bald.

Back