Alignment; post your numbers Gen 1 part duex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alignment; post your numbers Gen 1 part duex

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
Since the first alignment thread is in the now imfamous 'General Explorations forum 'Alignment thread' and is now closed to new posts.

Here is a Gen 1 specific alignment thread.

Here are my numbers after installing a James Duff 2.5" lift last week. I ran the truck about 100 miiles, re-torqued all the bolts and went to Sears.

Julio didn't want to do it at first, but I convinced him it drove straight getting there and all I wanted was the standard alignment. There wasn't any pulling, drifting or anything else that he was to try to fix.

He had a hard time but finally almost everything came within spec.

Camber range;-0.3 to 0.8 R-0.5 L-0.6
Caster range;2.0 to 7.0 R6.1 L4.4 The right adjuster was maxed out
Toe range;-.10 to .16 R.01 L.01

Cross Camber range; -0.5 to 0.5 actual 0.0
Cross Caster range; -1.3 to -0.3 actual-1.7
Total toe range; -.19 to .31 actual .02

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know what my alignment numbers are. I've never had it aligned. Owned new since November 1991, currently has 170,000 miles on it. Tires wear is even, so I don't worry about it.

85Dave said:
Don't know what my alignment numbers are. I've never had it aligned. Owned new since November 1991, currently has 170,000 miles on it. Tires wear is even, so I don't worry about it.
Holy crap, that is awesome!

I don't know my numbers either, I just had it aligned, too. I didn't know alignment shops even recorded those numbers. All I know is it drives straight and camber/toe are right on, visually, at least.

Here's my 94 after the Skyajcker 2" lift. With the new cams.
Inital - Final Min Max
Caster left
2.3 -0.1 2.0 7.0
Caster Right
2.8 0.1 2.0 7.0
Camber Left
1.8 0.0 -0.3 0.8
Camber Right
1.5 0.1 -0.3 0.8
Toe Left
0.30 0.05 -0.10 0.15
Toe Right
0.35 -0.5 -0.10 0.15
Total Toe
0.65 0.00 -0.20 0.30

Just did mine last week

I've been taking a Steering & Suspension course at my local CC ... makes up for the high school auto shop we didn't have when I was a kid :)
  • Caster: L=2.6 degrees, R=2.8 degrees (ok, left 'em)
  • Camber: L=-0.75 degrees, R=0.10 degrees (L way, way off, R ok)
  • Toe-in: L=0.6", R=0.2" (within tolerance, so says the Hunter machine. NB: inches, not degrees)
I knew something was wrong when I bought my 94 X ... I've always had to hold the steering wheel about 15 degrees L to compensate for the R side pull. Now I know why.

Now that school's over :(, I don't have access to the Hunter DSP511 alignment machine any more. 'Teach said to go ahead and take care of the L camber with a +1 degree kit (turns out the service manual says I have to see what's installed first and add that to the 1 deg positive kit I need. Bleh. Now I get to remove the L wheel and see if I can grok whatever marks are on the camber adjuster, if any.

Then I get to redo toe-in using the old string method. Anybody know what .06 degrees total toe translates to in inches toe-in on each side? My eternal gratitude to the correct answerer for not having to break out the trig book :) Service manual gives it in degrees, not inches.

Am also looking for a used (?) camber/caster bubble gauge, and maybe some wheel turntables, too. If you know of any (CHEAP) for sale, plz feel free to let me know. I've been spoiled by having an alignment rack available, and I have a few F/E chores that are going to require realignment after I'm done (radius arm bushings, etc).

Excellent idea segregating these tech forums by generation, BTW. Saves me from having to scan stuff that I know won't apply. THANKS!!

Peace,
--Jim--

Instead of wheel turntables, I just got a bunch of grease and sandwiched it between 2 pieces of thick cardboard. Lift up the front end and place the sandwiches under each wheel and it worked great for me. Its cheap. :thumbsup:

i dont know what my numbers are but im sure there bad becase my stering wheel goes to the left when going staight i need to get it aligned bad

Back