• Register Today It's free!

alignment question PLEASE HELP!

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
okay... so i did my TT/ shackles. and i took it to this shop which was supposed to be really good. however now they said that i need new uppercontrol arm/ ball joints ($160). and then i need some camber kit?????? he gave a total of $720 to do a proper alignment.

this seems ridiculous to me. and seems like either there pulling my leg and trying to give me a hard time. they told me that both from needed replaced (i just replaced the passanger a year ago) so now im confused. should i say screw it and not align it and just get bigger tires?

or are these shops just being a bunch of idiots? and i need to find a new shop

this is really driving me nuts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do need cam bolts in order to adjust the camber about $15-$25 for a set. And as for your ball joints. jack it up and shaker down and you make the call. UCA bushings grab a pry bar and use your better judgment

Check out rockauto.com

You do need cam bolts in order to adjust the camber about $15-$25 for a set. And as for your ball joints. jack it up and shaker down and you make the call. UCA bushings grab a pry bar and use your better judgment

okay thanks. i will be look getting new UCA for $30.00 a piece off ebay. and then the camber kit from napa. and doing that hopefully next weekend so i can get the alignment and new tires.

does it matter what degree of a camber kit i get?

Check out rockauto.com

whats the difference between
ACDELCO Part # 45K18011 More Information About this Part {#88914231} One of our most popular parts
ADJUST KIT,FRONT CAMBER/CASTER -; CONTAINS CAMS AND BOLT, 0 DEGREE TO +/- 2-1/4 DEGREE 16.99

and
RAYBESTOS Part # 6161011 More Information About this Part Professional Grade
Contains Cams And Bolt; 0 Degree To Plus Or Minus 2-1/4 Degree; Front

they seem like the same thing

From what you have shown me they are the same adjustabilty wise just different manufacturer. The higher the adjustability +/- the better. Do yourself a favor. When getting suspension components spend the extra couple bucks and go with moog, trw, or motorcraft. Ball joints tie rods control arms its much better than having to replace them ALL THE TIME! Also moog sells a one piece uca for the passenger side vs stock 2 piece. Rockauto is your best bet.

Okay yes I'm only ordering from rock auto

The guy at the shop didnt seem to think I knew what I was talking about. But the alignment Camber kit above is the right kit and the one I need right? He didn't like the idea of a kit
But when he described it and showed me it that was it. He was confused on the different degrees they come on. Idk if he just wanted me to get there kit
But he kept saying no the degrees doesn't matter

So if i get either of those kits from rock auto plus the uca I should be good/

This is the camber kit that you want. RAYBESTOS Part # 6161011 More Information About this Part Professional Grade
. This # is from rockauto's site. You'll need 1 kit for each side.

Has everyone on here had to do a camber kit after doing a tt or us it just circumstantial?

This is the camber kit that you want. RAYBESTOS Part # 6161011 More Information About this Part Professional Grade
. This # is from rockauto's site. You'll need 1 kit for each side.

UHHHH the parts out of stock!!! :( so any other ones that will work? any of the 2 i listed above?

Either one of those will work as long as it has the 2 1/4 degrees of adjustment. Like the earlier post said, the more adjustment the better.

cms - depending on the amount of TT, it seems most do need it.

ordered thanks for the help!

Back