• Register Today It's free!

Alignment

Provokr

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.6L 4X4
UUGH!!! I hate some of the shops around here in Jacksonville...
First off, I start out by realizing my ball joints need to be replaced. So... I replaced lower ball joints and upper control arms. Unfortunately, I got the one piece control arms so I lost my caster adjustment... but whatever. So I get everything back together and take my truck to a shop to get the new tires I bought for it mounted and balanced and get the allignment. They told me that the camber kit for my truck is $50 per side and it would be an hour labor ($70) so just for them to install a camber kit would be $170 and I would have to wait till the next day because they were not in stock. I told them no because it was rediculous that they would charge that price since NAPA sold the exact same kit for $17 and had them in stock. So, I was paying for my overcharged mounting and balancing and they added a 15 dollar charge because they hooked up the truck to the allignment rack before they realized that I needed the camber kit and they were going to charge me half of what the allignment would cost. I refused to pay the $15 but it still cost me $50 for mount/balance for 33X10.50 tires.

ANYWAYS...... Do I really need this camber kit for my truck to allign the tires? I have not lifted or lowered the truck at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was planning on buying it from NAPA and putting them in myself, but I was just curious if I really needed them? I don't see why... It was alligned before... whats the difference now?

yes, the factory washers are not adjustable. As parts wear, and a truck gets older the alignment changes. Even though you didn't lift the truck at all you will need the adjustable washers. The good news is it only takes about 10 min to install both sides since you only need to replace the nut side of the alignment bolt. The head side is already an adjustable one. I understand your frustration however it sounds like the going rate for work like that. That's why I do all of that stuff myself, I like to know every part of my truck.

yes, the factory washers are not adjustable. As parts wear, and a truck gets older the alignment changes. Even though you didn't lift the truck at all you will need the adjustable washers. The good news is it only takes about 10 min to install both sides since you only need to replace the nut side of the alignment bolt. The head side is already an adjustable one. I understand your frustration however it sounds like the going rate for work like that. That's why I do all of that stuff myself, I like to know every part of my truck.

Thanks, because I definately would have replaced the whole bolt instead of putting just the nuts and washers.

Just need a flat washer really. What we did with mine anyways.

I refused to pay the $15 but it still cost me $50 for mount/balance for 33X10.50 tires.

ANYWAYS...... Do I really need this camber kit for my truck to allign the tires? I have not lifted or lowered the truck at all.

Alignments aside, how the hell are you fitting 33's without a lift?

Haha I thought maybe you had discovered the secret to stuffing tires in those tiny wells.

Back