• Register Today It's free!

Alignment

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
So. I bought my 93 Ex 4x4 a few months ago (already had a Ranger). The guy I got it from was a enthusiast and was (as far as I can tell) honest with me about the problems. He told me he had replaced the rotors and balljoints about 4 months prior. I dont think he was BS'sing me because the price was good if I had to replace them all.

Anyway, the front tires have been wearing almost exclusively on the inside. It also pulls a bit to the right when you brake very hard. I had this problem with my ranger, had it aligned and no more problems. The only place that was open on saturday was a tire and lube type place. They called and said they couldnt align it because they needed "alignment bushings." Now, first off, this explorer is at bone stock ride hight. I was under the impression that you only needed to change the caster/camber bushings when raising or dropping the ride height. the steering linkage is pretty much at perfect angles. I also havent heard of them breaking before. I asked him to elaborate but he said that was just the information the tech left.

Is this a case of people not knowing what they are talking about (I have heard some places dont know how to align TTB properly)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take it to a real tire shop.

check your brakes for fixing the "pull".

and jack it up and check ball joints and tie rods just in case.

good luck!

The tie rods look good. One has a torn boot, but I keep up on the lube pretty well (will replace it a couple weeks). I had the passenger side front up and there was no movement when I tried to tweak the tire, but did not check the other side. Say the other side really is bad (and the side I checked is good) why would they both wear in the same place, the same amount?

thanks guys.

The pull while braking sounds like a brake issue.

But the wearing of the tires in the same spots sounds like a camber issue.
If they said "alignment bushings" he was probably speaking of a "camber caster kit" or something of the like. Just using the name listed on Ebay searches.

As previously mentioned, if you go to a good tire shop, most times with the purchase of an alignment they'll include these bushings for free. They should also tell you why it's pulling to the side while braking, and then ask what it'd take to fix it. (That way you know what needs to be fixed and can do it yourself)

Maybe the previous owner purchased the tires used and they were already worn like that? :D

Just a thought

Edit: thinking about having a local dealership change my oil soon, It's free this time around and I want to see the inspection sheet on my 'in need to attention by non-broke people' ford explorer. lol

Mine pulls to the right while braking. But that caliper has been replaced and it has new rotors, front and rear pads and wheel cylinders. :dunno:

used caliper for $14 and 'looked to be new but rusted and FREE front pads' from a ranger at the junk yard. The guy said I could have them :D

Back